Sign in to follow this  
rawhide1

making hair slip

Hi everybody I posted this question in the how do I do it part. I don't know if it's such a silly question no one has the answer. But here goes again instead of soaking or boiling your hide to make the hair slip can ya just clip it with a set of surgicial blades or not. Thanks for any help Mike

rawhide1

I tried using clippers years ago and found that you couldn't get a fine enough cut and after about 2minits the clippers became blunt from dirt and fine particles in the hair. If you are keen enough and have some time up your sleeve try some broken window glass at an angle. Gloves are a must. Hold the glass at a angle and draw it towards you. It works once you get the hang of it but but is time consuming. Hot water is the best because their is no chemicals but I have found that builders lime works for me. The only trouble is the waist. Not good if you live in town. Lime raises the PH of the hide to around PH11 so it has to be naturalized so the PH comes back to around 7. I use vinegar, it isn't as dangerous as sylphic acid. I was using sylphic acid but found that if you put the wrong amount in with water to naturalize the lime it can ruin the hide. With vinegar it doesnt matter if you put too much in. I hope this is some help.

Bob

Mike, the reason to NOT use clippers or to shave is that with boiling and with lime you are opening the hair folicle so that the whole hair shaft "slips" out and there is nothing left. With shaving you are cutting the hair off at the surface and once the hide has dried there will be little black specks all over it unless you scrape it and then you are removing a layer of the epidermis which leaves the hide white-ish looking and not as pretty as with the other methods.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Slave Driver, the table has turned. Catch a Fire, its your turn to get burned!
Bob Marley - Slave Driver