Sign in to follow this  
TwinOaks

Finally re-made the bloomin' thing

100_6705.JPG100_6707.JPGWell, my first holster is now in the scrap pile. I made it out of chrome tanned leather, for two reasons: 1. I have plenty of it, and 2. I had no idea what I was doing. Now, it's remade in veg tan, and I wet molded it, then stitched it by hand. The rivet is strictly utilitarian, to prevent stretching of the stitch when reholstering. It's my take on what would happen if a Milt Sparks and a Horsehoe Leather holster were left in a dark closet together. The belt loop is pretty wide, and held on with a chicago screw, so the rake is adjustable. Comments and suggestions please ( and be gentle- it's the second time I've made my first holster)

(And yes, I'll make a new wallet as soon as I get some leather to do it)

post-5374-1202678418_thumb.jpg

post-5374-1202678606_thumb.jpg

Edited by TwinOaks

I think it looks pretty decent myself. I would probably open up the muzzle end, cut down the body shied but that may be difficult without a bobbed hammer, and round the edges a little bit. Being a hardcore 1911 carrier myself, I would also try and extend the holster a little to keep the trigger area totally closed off. I will say one thing though, it definately looks like the holster is going to conceal it. How do the Chicago screws work?

It's only got one screw in it, and it works wonderfully. After it wears for a while, I'm going to disassemble the loop part and see if it needs a washer or the like to help distrubute the load on the leather. But so far, it's good. The loop stubbornly refuses to tilt off of its angle.

I did think about opening up the muzzle, and might still do it, but I want to see how it does for a while. A little extra at the muzzle isn't hurting anything right now, and I know I won't get any trash in it from that side.