Thatexstnrguy

Peculiar thread tension oscillation problem

Got my hand on a pfaff 487 with double feed in decent conditions, stitches are great if not for the fact that the thread tension it is super hard to get right, on leather once every 5 to ten stitches u can see the bottom feed come up on one or two stitches as if the upper thread tension is set too high, something I would describe as a slight sinusoid shaped oscillation of the height of the stitches “locks”.

the instinct would be to lower the tension just a little bit on the upper thread but as I did that the same problem comes up on the bottom layer (the upper thread can be seen once every 5 10 stitches), on denim (13 to 15oz) the same thing happens but with another  problem comes up, it requires different tensions set ups when following the grain or if I stitch perpendicular to it.

i am fairly new to industrial machines I would be glad if someone could give me some advice about this :)

my first post on the forum and wanted to say  I really appreciate all the knowledge u are willing to share!

Edited by Thatexstnrguy
Describing better the matter