Mdolfan

Hello from Pennsylvania!

I’m not an experienced leather worker by any stretch of the imagination.  Unfortunately, I tend to jump into a craft in the upper intermediary to expert level when I start learning something.  The first thing I made with leather was a holster.  Decided to do it Sheridan style.  Took it to a saddle maker out in Utah when I was there because I couldn’t get the snap to set right.  He was pretty amazed it was my first project.  Gave me a few tips on my carving to improve it and set my snap for me.  That got me buying a lot of leather tools and piqued my interest in leatherwork.  

Right now, I’m in the midst of taking an old Simco saddle apart (no clue on the age of the saddle) to refleece it.  Hoping I didn’t bite off more than I can chew as I’ve never taken a saddle apart like this.  Got most of it disassembled and am a little stuck on a few things.  Right now I’m having some difficulty getting the skirt with the fleece off the saddle.  Can’t tell how the middle of the skirt is fastened on.  I don’t want to mess this up, and am seriously looking for some guidance.  I’ve researched a ton and keep ending up here with answers.  

Just got my shearling in the mail today and am super thrilled because it’s gorgeous and so soft!  But I’m also a little terrified too.  Hoping you guys take pity on me and help me answer the questions I might have!  I have Ed Stohlman’s book, which is awesome, but it doesn’t address replacing fleece.  

Thank you for letting me introduce myself!

pics of the saddle are in a video below