DoubleBarrelCustomLeather

Custom Slobber Straps

I wanted to share my progress so far on these slobber straps! They are turning out better than I thought!

They will be dyed, painted, and stitched this weekend!

IMG_1705.png.884f80e49f25bd752fdb2e4cd676d830.png

They look good. You’ll have to post a picture when you’re done.

well done!

They turned out really nice good job.

They look good! What sort of paint did you use? Was it specially made for leather? And did you have to put anything on first, or just paint straight on the leather?  Am working on a project, and looking into painting some parts of it.

@PurpleBronc

Thank you! I used leather paint. I can't remember the brand, but it's kind of like a watered down acrylic. You don't need to prep the leather in any sort of way, you can paint straight on it. I would say sealing it with a resolene or lacquer would be helpful, but over time paint will come off anyhow. On this project, I opted for Tan-Kote so it could still be oiled.

@bigbird48

Thank you! They just add weight to your reins as far as I know. I'm honestly not 100% sure as to their exact use lmao.

1 hour ago, DoubleBarrelCustomLeather said:

@bigbird48

Thank you! They just add weight to your reins as far as I know. I'm honestly not 100% sure as to their exact use lmao.

No, they are for using a mecate rein on a snaffle bit instead of flat reins. The rmecate is looped around the right slobber strap and through the hole and the knot makes a bind,   the end  is brought back to make a workable rein length and the tail is looped around and through the left side slobber strap with a bind over the tail, then brought back for the rider to tuck into their belt to use as a lead or a safety line to the horse in case you get bucked off. These are realistically a big country piece of gear. They are a weak link according to some to break if need be. Others want them a heavier for signal (the horse feels the slobber strap raise before bit pressure). Finally if the horse slobbers they help keep the mecate protected. 

20 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

No, they are for using a mecate rein on a snaffle bit instead of flat reins. The rmecate is looped around the right slobber strap and through the hole and the knot makes a bind,   the end  is brought back to make a workable rein length and the tail is looped around and through the left side slobber strap with a bind over the tail, then brought back for the rider to tuck into their belt to use as a lead or a safety line to the horse in case you get bucked off. These are realistically a big country piece of gear. They are a weak link according to some to break if need be. Others want them a heavier for signal (the horse feels the slobber strap raise before bit pressure). Finally if the horse slobbers they help keep the mecate protected. 

I think aloy of folks here are going to need picture illustrations to fully understand what you said... Lol.

Growing up and having lived and worked on working cattle operations I'm very familiar with the setup you describe. Never really cared for a mecate on a bit myself, but always used a mecate on my hackamore.

1 hour ago, Cattleman said:

I think aloy of folks here are going to need picture illustrations to fully understand what you said... Lol.

Growing up and having lived and worked on working cattle operations I'm very familiar with the setup you describe. Never really cared for a mecate on a bit myself, but always used a mecate on my hackamore.

Probably so… LOL. I found these on a quick search.

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

1 hour ago, bruce johnson said:

Probably so… LOL. I found these on a quick search.

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5551.jpeg

That will definetally help I'm sure.

Im so used to using and seeing horse hair macates that I forgot that they dont have to be made of horse hair.

IMG_1749.thumb.png.9acd7cfa75b39493bd7c4fe57ea3f6bc.png

This is the final product on these slobber straps! They came out beautiful!