gtwister09

Neat Trick for Needle Sizing

On 12/19/2022 at 10:28 AM, Wizcrafts said:

When you say "yarn" do you mean the fluffy soft stuff, or smooth thread? Your use of "yarn" suggests that you are not into industrial leather sewing machines (yet). We usually deal with "thread" that is bonded together and lubricated to withstand the friction and heat generated when sewing leather. I think of yarn as something one would use in a sweater. Further, most of our needles start at a #16 or 18 and go UP from there. I don't even possess a #8 needle for my one straight stitch machine.

What make and model sewing machine are you using that uses a #8 needle? What is the brand of the "yarn" you want to use? A small photo of the bottom of a spool would help. Take the photo at as small a resolution as possible to be within our upload limits.

As a guideline, no matter what type of thread you want to use, it must slide through the eye of the needle. If you also have a bobbin in the machine, the needle must poke a big enough hole to pull up two threads that overlap into a knot. So, if a needle is already tight when you test it with just one thread, it probably will be too small to pull up both threads and their knots.It also depends on the density and thickness of the sewn material. It is easier to pull up knots in soft linings and broad cloth than in nylon, denim, vinyl and leather. Just use a bigger needle if you see knots on the bottom despite making tension adjustments!

Your last paragraph was a complete “AH-HA” moment for me. I’ve never seen it explained that way but now it makes complete sense. Thank you!!