DSC00824__Medium_.JPGDSC00825__Medium_.JPG

DSC00826__Medium_.JPG

DSC00827__Medium_.JPGDSC00828__Medium_.JPG

DSC00829__Medium_.JPG

DSC00830__Medium_.JPGDSC00831__Medium_.JPG

DSC00832__Medium_.JPGDSC00833__Medium_.JPG

DSC00834__Medium_.JPGDSC00835__Medium_.JPG

DSC00836__Medium_.JPG

I put together a couple of kit holsters for my Neighbor and he asked if I would make him a shoulder holster for his Bersa 380. Well I could not turn away a challange and headed off for leather and such and I did get the Stohlman how to book. I read the book made a pattern and stole some ideas from my own shoulder holster which is a gov issue. I like the single strap design and the belt loop on the bottom. So with that said let me know what you think. If nothing else my stitching improved a tad bit. I used rivits wherever it would not show or touch the gun. I have not attached the top of the strap yet as I need him to come over and let me measure it for a good fit.

DSC00837__Medium_.JPG

post-5977-1204141844_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141858_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141867_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141879_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141893_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141906_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141932_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141945_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141959_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141977_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204141984_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204142002_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204142010_thumb.jpg

post-5977-1204142018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
fixed the broken attachments

are those snaps standard on the shoulder holsters.

are those snaps standard on the shoulder holsters.

Not sure about other's but they were on the US Gov. 45 issued I kind of stole some of the design from it

gov_issue.jpg

This is the holster I stole from

post-5977-1204162469_thumb.jpg

gov_issue.jpg

This is the holster I stole from

WWII issue?

I do not know for sure it was inherited along with the pistol from my father in law. I never knew he had the shoulder holster until after he died so I did not get to ask him. It is aged. That is not an actual picture of the one I have but it is an exact match. The one I have did not fit the S&W 45 that he carried in it and he cut out the trigger guard to make it fit. So it is altered from the original design. It has the US Gov stamp on the back and I searched the Internet and found this photo and went from there.

Far better than I could do, but it looks like the trigger is too exposed. Cocked and locked, the trigger would be fully exposed, and to me, that is pushing the limits of safe carrying.

Far better than I could do, but it looks like the trigger is too exposed. Cocked and locked, the trigger would be fully exposed, and to me, that is pushing the limits of safe carrying.

I would think that with a molded holster it would be less safe to push a trigger into a holster in the wrong direction. However I have seen holsters with far more trigger exposed than I have gone with and some with far less. In my humble opinion if you are carrying cocked and locked you’re not very safe to start with. The bersa 380 does have a firing pin safety that if properly engaged is covered by the holster and should be safe from getting disengaged. Just my opinion what do some of the rest of you think? I would like to know if trigger exposure should be or is an issue.

WARNING: I'M ABOUT TO GO OFF TOPIC

OK guys. This is just my opinion, but I believe carrying a 1911 cocked and locked is much safer than hammer down, safety off. Mechanically speaking, a cocked and locked 1911 is even safer with the trigger exposed than a pistol with a decocker only. Sound funny? Think about this: When the 1911 is cocked and locked, not only is the hammer physically locked in place away from the firing pin, but the drop safety is engaged. With the hammer down, if you were to drop the gun from the holster, there is a good chance it could go BANG! Also, an exposed locked trigger might get snagged and possibly reposition the gun in the holster. If the same thing happened to an LDA, DAO, or even some DA/SA triggers, it is within the realm of possibility that the pistol could discharge in the holster (YIKES).

I believe a lot of the fears associated with SAO firearms is due to a lack of training/familiarity with the platform. The other problem with them is due to fear of liability for using an SAO pistol for self defense or duty, and being sued for wrongful death as a result of a neglegent discharge. This has been a successful civil suit by the families of deceased criminals, against police officers who were even deemed justified in the use of deadly force at the time of the shooting. The claim is, while deadly force was justified, the officer/s in question unintentionally fired their SAO pistols before they ment to. That's why a lot of depertments have actually stopped allowing the carry of SAO pistols, although the reasons are often said to be the superior design of DA/SA pistols. Modern training methods have gone a long way to helping folks stay safe civily, after the threat is over. Especially with prctices like always keeping you finger outside of the trigger guard until the sights are on the threat and you have made the decision to fire, and to keep firing exactly as long as the threat exists (no more and no less).

For the record, I'm not biased toards the 1911. I've never even owned one. I shoot Glocks and Kahrs most of the time.

BACK TO TOPIC--

Interesting holster, Bighearn. Do you think it would be a little more comfortable with a wider shoulder strap? I guess it's not like the Bersa is too heavy though, huh?

The rig is very comfortable. The bersa is a light weight pistol and the 3/4" strap at shoulder seems to be more than enough. On that note the original holster that I took ideas from holds my S&W 45 Model 645 and the strap is a little less than a full inch and it is very comfortable even considering the weight of that pistol which is considerable in comparison to modern light weight 45's.

Now I carry all of my semi auto's unchambered saftey engaged. Just the way I roll I guess and I am not a police officer or do I need to carry for self defense "at least not yet". With all you said you still did'nt say "or at least I did'nt understand" weather you considered the trigger guard to exposed or not. I really would like to know if it is truly a safety problem I need to address in future builds.

In my opinion, if you can see the front of the trigger, it is too exposed. If you plan on making these for other people, you should probably add more trigger coverage. A lot of people won't use a holster that leaves any part of the trigger visible. I don't know if they're just being extra carefull or they don't understand that it's really hard to fire a gun by pulling the back of the trigger, but either way, you have to give folks what they want sometimes.

Thank you. I will take that into account with future holsters. I am inviting all and any criticisms I can get. I wont turn down any praises either for that matter. As to the owner of the gun he was extremely pleased (probally because I did it for free just to get one under my belt and because he is my neighbor and best friend). I just wanted to do one using my own idea (in a fashion) and making a pattern from scratch. I think I am heading down a path of no return. $ as well if I give em away.