Sign in to follow this  
338uwm

Any certain process of dyeing lace

I'm wanting to dye some lace for a certain project going on. Just not sure if there is anything special I should. Besides how I dye everything else. Which is applyy oil dye with a soft cloth. After it dries apply resoline or leather balm with atoms wax. I'll be useing the lace on a holster in place of stiching useing a Mexican backetweave. Figured it's easier to ask than waste a lot of time.

I have no idea how everyone else does this... This is what I do and I think it depends on how much lace you have to do.

I get my lace wet first. Then I put it in a jar (maybe an old jam jar) with the dye, close the lid (being sure to catch the end up in the lid so I can find it again) and shake the jar so all the lace gets covered, take off the lid, then I pull it out through my fingers (I wear gloves of course!) to sort of put back all the drips in the jar. Depending on how dark I want the color I sometimes then rinse the lace in water, and sometimes I don't... When finished I have a little dye left, usually I just leave it in the jar for the next time. Sounds weird but I get a fairly level dye on the lace like this.

If I don't have to do much I do like you do. But if you have to do 100 yards of lace that gets a little old, not to mention it's hard to get the dye level from one end of the lace to the other.

I wind the lace over a wide piece of masonite - I use kangaroo lace, so I need to strip off the finish with deglaser before I dye it. The hardboard backing gives me something to rub against with the deglazer. It is also easy then to dye the lace with a dauber.

I'll try to remember to take some pics when I do it again!