Sign in to follow this  
Arturo

How D

Hey Ya'll:

I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now and I am continually blown away by the stuff you all are creating. I am interested in everything from motorcycle seats to boot making and this forum has been one stop shopping for me.

My son got me interested in leather work again after having let the tools sit in a box for about 18 years. He made a really cool seat for his Sportster and when he sent me a picture of it the leather bug bit me hard right in the check book!

A little about me: I work for a major oil company at the Prudhoe Bay, Alaska oilfield. We work two weeks on and are off for two weeks. During the coldest/darkest winter months I travel back and forth from the Houston, Texas area every two weeks so I rack up lots of frequent flyer miles. I spend my days off during the spring, summer and fall on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska fishing, flying, hunting and swatting mosquitoes.

Several months ago I saw a guy in the airport with a very cool looking "man purse". He was across the waiting area from me so I got up and walked over closer to him so I could get a better look at the bag. I really liked it even though it looked a little "border townish". Those of you that have ever been to a border town in Mexico know what I mean. Any way, I asked him where he got it and he said it was a "Sway Back" or "Broke Back" or something like that. I looked them up on the net and DANG those things were expensive for what they are. Well I got over wanting one of those because there is no way I am paying $500 for something I can make myself for $700! No that is not a typo, since the bug bit me I have bought about $700 worth of tools and leather and still have not completed a single thing!

I saw the bags that "Walden Bags" is producing and thought; "OK, thats what the are suppose to look like". I now have a bunch of parts cut out and ready to assemble so hopefully it will turn out at least as well as the "border town" versions. I have attached a picture of all the parts layed out in the living room floor to give those of you that dont know how much leather and work there is involved in these type bags.

Thanks to all of you that post pictues of the great stuff you are creating and an even bigger thanks to you all that tell us newbies how you do it!

Arturo (my real name is Art but that "handle" was already taken)

breifcase_parts.jpg.jpg

post-8289-1234023981_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Yea, Know all about that ravenous cash eating "Bug"... :evillaugh:

Welcome Art cant wait to see your work ! :thumbsup:

You will love this site. WELCOME.

Kiwi. :coffeecomp:

Haha. Yeah it's nice being able to borrow the tools from somebody instead of buying them, DAD!