Sign in to follow this  
Milisandia

Attach a bottom to a cylinder

Hi all,

I am wanting to make a document case that will be a long cylinder with a bottom on one end and a removable cap on the other. The only thing I can figure out is the cylinder, which will be a long rectangle sewn together. Can someone point me to some instructions on how to attach the bottom to the cylinder and also make a fitted cap for the cylinder?

Much thanks!

Millie

Hi all,

I am wanting to make a document case that will be a long cylinder with a bottom on one end and a removable cap on the other. The only thing I can figure out is the cylinder, which will be a long rectangle sewn together. Can someone point me to some instructions on how to attach the bottom to the cylinder and also make a fitted cap for the cylinder?

Much thanks!

Millie

the books of al stohlman the are of making leather cases, are great you can pick them up farily cheap at tandy or go on line to tandy to view them, there is a series of 3

The Al Stohlman case making books are a great resource, I believe there is also a bit on how to sew it in the Al Stohlman hand sewing book. All are great references and recommended to have on your shelf.

Dave T.

Hi Milisandia,

Here's the way I would go about it using something like 9oz leather.

Work out the internal diameter for your tube and cut a piece of leather to this size.

Then I think to work out the main tubing width it's the circumference plus the thickness of the leather. So for a diameter of 100mm you have a circumference of 314mm plus the thickness of leather 3.5mm 317.5mm. But check this with a scrap of leather before cutting to make sure it's right.

Crease and burnish the top and bottom of the tube. Mark your stitching on the bottom and sides and using a awl make the holes. Then butt stitch the sides together.

Mark a crease around the circle of leather for your stitch's to sit in. Then make the holes with the awl on a angle coming out just above the bottom corner.

Use a box stitch to stitch them together. It will help if you have something the same diameter to put on the inside to keep everything rigid.

The cap is the same but your internal diameter is the external diameter of the tube.

Tips

If this is your first time doing the box stitch or butt stitch practice on scraps first as they are not the easiest to master.

When marking out the stitches for the circle pieces make them slightly smaller.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you further

Tony

Edited by OutBackP