troy

braiding sheaths and pouches??

Been playing around with braiding handles and sheaths onto blades I've been making - just wondering if any body else has experiance with this sort of braiding. Finding it OK when making a simple sheath but adding a pouch on is proving tedious to say the least. The main problemn is adding on strings.

below are a few piccys of the stated sheaths - the first sheath does have a built in pouch but it is not very clear -

dscf4363.JPG

steel-knapped-knife3.jpg

Very NICE Troy.. Haven't done anything like it but I apreciate seeing someone stretch the boundry a bit.!!

Vaya con Dios, Alan Bell

I haven't tried to braid a whole sheath yet, but have messed around with braiding handles on old butcher knives and some of my stone knives. The attached aren't my best work, pictures of some of my first attempts, but you will get the idea.

For some reason I couldn't do two pictures. I guess I don't know how to size them right! Anyway here is a second picture.

Flatlander

knotsonknives_014.jpg

knotsonknives_002.jpg

post-9445-1236785036_thumb.jpg

post-9445-1236785179_thumb.jpg

Hi Flatlander - your braided knots look great, I always remember feeling that I was finally getting it the first time I managed interweaves like yours.

heres another knife pouch I have just done for a viking saexe blade - It is made from a wide flat braid folded over, this first attempt is not perfect but it's getting there. First off I thing doing a under 1 over 1 braid instaead of 2o, 2u will make the braid wider which it could of been at the end to accomodate the handle of the blade.

saexe_blade_and_sheath1.jpg

post-182-1239437336_thumb.jpg