FredF

Used Consew 206BR-1 Question

Hi everyone,

Today I went to see a used Consew 206 BR-1. I have never owned a sewing machine or operated one, so I don't know much about what to look for to see if it is in good condition. When the owner demonstrated how it worked (I brought a piece of thick leather to see if it would sew it), there was oil on the needle (or foot) and it left oil on the leather on the first run of stitches. The machine seemed to sew flawlessly aside from that, and I was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal (maybe from just being oiled), of if perhaps, this is a common sign of problems with the machine.

And second, can anyone give me an idea of what would be a fair price for this machine (table and motor included).

Thank you,

Fred

Hi everyone,

Today I went to see a used Consew 206 BR-1. I have never owned a sewing machine or operated one, so I don't know much about what to look for to see if it is in good condition. When the owner demonstrated how it worked (I brought a piece of thick leather to see if it would sew it), there was oil on the needle (or foot) and it left oil on the leather on the first run of stitches. The machine seemed to sew flawlessly aside from that, and I was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal (maybe from just being oiled), of if perhaps, this is a common sign of problems with the machine.

And second, can anyone give me an idea of what would be a fair price for this machine (table and motor included).

Thank you,

Fred

Soooo....................No one ever seen this before? Is oil on the foot (or needle) normal or a warning sign? :coffeecomp:

Hi Fred,

You sure that's not a 206-RB1?

It may have just been over oiled when put up, clean it up and run a bunch of leather through it, check for looseness in the needle bar, main shaft bearings and bobbin shaft, $200-$600 depending on condition.

Art

Soooo....................No one ever seen this before? Is oil on the foot (or needle) normal or a warning sign? :coffeecomp:

Hi Fred,

You sure that's not a 206-RB1?

It may have just been over oiled when put up, clean it up and run a bunch of leather through it, check for looseness in the needle bar, main shaft bearings and bobbin shaft, $200-$600 depending on condition.

Art

Thanks Art.

Yes it is an RB-1. Got the letters crossed! I'll check those things if I see it again tomorrow, which is when they told me they would let me know about my offer. In the mean time another one came up for sale which is a Consew 206 RB5, which I think is a much newer model, but they are asking $750. (from a canvas shop). There seem to be a lot of these out there (especially in today's economy with many of the smaller shops closing down).

Many thanks again.

Fred