Hey Guys,

I've been searching for a Ruger LCP dummy gun . I don't think Rings Blue Guns makes one yet. I found this one on the internet and wondered if anyone has tried this one out yet? Is it durable and true to size? It's a little pricey, but then again so is the real thing.

Thanks, Randy

http://www.idmparts.com/index.php

Hey Guys,

I've been searching for a Ruger LCP dummy gun . I don't think Rings Blue Guns makes one yet. I found this one on the internet and wondered if anyone has tried this one out yet? Is it durable and true to size? It's a little pricey, but then again so is the real thing.

Thanks, Randy

Randy:

I kind of specialize in some of the older handguns, those that the big name makers have dropped from their inventory because of demand/profit considerations. Works well for me. Have you considered that this is probably one of the only businesses in existence where we can build our private collections while, at the same time, taking a tax deduction for the cost of every handgun we buy to fill an order? Interesting, truly interesting.

Last year I received multiple inquiries for holsters for Model 39 Smith and Wesson holsters, the handgun being out of production for about 30 years. None of the dummy gun manufacturers could be of any help, so I bought a used gun. Paid for itself in 4 orders, and I am still making 2 or 3 per month.

If Ring's, ASP, or Duncan's can provide a dummy gun, that is what I will buy. If there is enough demand for a specific model, I will buy the real thing. It is all tax deductible, and I don't recall ever losing any money on a quality handgun. Now I can fill 4 or 5 orders and have the handgun paid for, and ready to shoot or build another holster for.

For what it might be worth, my opinions are free and worth every penny of the price.

Thanks Lobo

Gee another excuse to buy another gun. I purchased 3 last year alone. I'm going to keep looking for a dummy Ruger LCP. If not, maybe I will go ahead and buy one.

Randy

If cost is an issue, you might try finding an ol' beat up used to death Keltec p3at. The LCP is virtually a clone of it externally (maybe internally too, but I don't know for sure) and if you can find a pawn shop shop princess for under $100, well, there ya go.

If cost is an issue, you might try finding an ol' beat up used to death Keltec p3at. The LCP is virtually a clone of it externally (maybe internally too, but I don't know for sure) and if you can find a pawn shop shop princess for under $100, well, there ya go.

Mike,

Thanks. As long as the outside dimensions are close, the Keltec might just work out for me. I primarily need one for building pocket holsters. The LCP seems to be popular for pocket carry.

Our local pawnshops don't sell firearms, only burglary proceeds pawned by local crack addicts

Randy

Edited by Randyc

Randy,

The Ruger LCP is built under license from Keltec, (with only a few very minor mechanical differences between the two). The LCP and P3AT are dimentionally identical in the slide. The grip frames are slightly different in dimention (thicker on the Ruger version) and the Ruger versions grip profile is slightly different. The critical areas of width, trigger guard dimentions and barrel length and profile (as it relates to making holsters anyway..) are all the same. If you ask Ruger for a holster recommendation for the LCP, they tell you to look for any holster that fits the Keltec P3AT.

I don 't know that you'll have any better luck finding a dummy gun for a Keltec, than the RUger, but as was pointed out, the Keltec is a reletively cheap pistol, and finding one used might be an option. I picked up my Keltec new for just over $200. I would expect a used one to be about half that price.

Hope this helps.

-Tac

The Ruger LCP is built under license from Keltec, (with only a few very minor mechanical differences between the two).

-Tac

Who and/or what is your source of information regarding that?

K-man,

My "source" is a Shooting Industry News article that was written a couple of years ago (prior to Ruger's release of the LCP) advising that Ruger had lisensed a version of the Keltec pistol for their own preduction. It wasn't a long article, just an industry news blurb. I can't remember the date of the article to quote it directly.

-Tac

Hey Guys,

Thanks, Randy

Hmm, looking at the link and the items it lists, coupled with a previous conversation I've come across, I think I'd prefer to eat the cost of a real pistol.

K-man,

My "source" is a Shooting Industry News article that was written a couple of years ago (prior to Ruger's release of the LCP) advising that Ruger had lisensed a version of the Keltec pistol for their own preduction. It wasn't a long article, just an industry news blurb. I can't remember the date of the article to quote it directly.

-Tac

While the writer of the article would most likely draw that conclusion, or may have been told that by the folks at Ruger, it is not the case. I've known the folks at Kel-Tec for quite some time now, and have recently talked with them about this very subject. I'm not privy to any information about what, if any, legal action Kel-Tec may be taking against Ruger regarding the LCP. Suffice it to say though that there is no license agreement, of any sort, between the two companies regarding the production of the Ruger LCP.

Edited by Tod

On March 4th I received an email from Ring's Blue Gun saying "We should have the LCP & possibly the LCR by the end of the month." They are also looking at adding the Kel-Tec and Kahr.

Tod

On March 4th I received an email from Ring's Blue Gun saying "We should have the LCP & possibly the LCR by the end of the month." They are also looking at adding the Kel-Tec and Kahr.

Tod

Tod,

Thanks that's some good news!

Randy

Tod

Any word on the LCP?

Yes, Ring's has both the LCP and the LCR available now for order.

I ordered the LCP directly from Rings around a month ago. They told me 2 weeks and I'm still waiting. Hopefully this coming week, Ill have the LCP mold.

If the LCR takes off like the LCP did there should be plenty of business out there for us holster builders.

Randy