Des804

putting a deep grove in leather

How do I do this without a tool that grooves.

How do I do this without a tool that grooves.

Is there supposed to be a picture with this?

Art

the question was the topic how do I put a deep groove in leather ( like when your going to fold the leather either completely or at an angle.

You can make a groove using a modeling tool with a straight blade or tip. It won't be as deep as a cut groove, though.

Kate

the question was the topic how do I put a deep groove in leather ( like when your going to fold the leather either completely or at an angle.

You could cut a V in the leather from each side with your knife.

Art

was wondering if a bone folder would work.

I have used an edger for that purpose. Case or wet the leather, use the edger to cut the groove on the flesh side (assuming the flesh side is the inside of the fold). Sometimes I had to slightly bend the leather toward the grain side to get a better cut groove.

I have also sanded the flesh side when the fold was more of a curve than a fold.

Good luck...

Edited by RandyScott

not very steady hand. The groover I have but its not a freehand one.

If you have an edger you can wet the leather and bend it over the edge of a table at the fold line the use the edger to remove about half the thickness of the leather along the fold line. Then it should fold over pretty flat.

The method Jordan decribes works very well indeed.

I use it often......

Cheers,

Karl

so I fold it on the grain side and use the edger on the fold like I would be using it on the edge of the leather.

Yes... Practice on some scrap, use different size edgers (if you have more than one) to see the effect, vary the depth of the cut, etc..

Only Have the one edger at the moment. So a Bone Folder wont work ?

Edited by Des804

I think that you could try the bone folder (I think you intend to use the point of the folder to indent a crease in the flesh side) and see if the results meet your expectations. My concern would be the inadvertent burnishing of the grain side due to the pressure when making the crease. Get some scrap and give it a go! Do one each using the folder, the edger and the stitch groover and see which results best meet your needs.

Oh, and additional thought just popped up. Are you using the Tandy/TLF 'plastic bone folder'? If so, I would suggest using sandpaper to remove the sharp mold extrusions on the folder. Start with about 220 grit and go up to about 800 or a 1000 grit to smooth and polish the tool.

Now, this is probably not an issue if used on the flesh side, only on the grain side. Just a heads up for you!