niftytack

Singer Machines

Hi

I'm new here and have a lot of questions. My first is I have two Singer machines and would like to know if anyone here knows a little about them or have worked with one of these models? they are a 153W 103 and a 144W SV36

Looking for some help also with the timing if anyone knows the 153 seams to get out of time every time I break a needle. should it be doing this?

Hello!

Those are two great machines! You can go to www.singerco.com and download the manuals for these machines. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of them.

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/14...WSV37_WSV38.pdf

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/15...103_154K101.pdf

Edited by ryano

I have those and the pictures are so poor that I have not idea what they are pointed to, so I can not fix what I think might be wrong with the machine. I can not seam to get any one out to look at it. and its been down for a week and I have a pile of work to do. It would be nice to be able to keep it working my self and not have to call someone every time it does this which is several times a year.

Any suggestions :helpsmilie:

It seems to me that you are knocking out the safety clutch. Rein gauge the safety clutch. The springs may be weak in the safety clutch causing it to be knocked out of time each time you break a needle.

Hi

I'm new here and have a lot of questions. My first is I have two Singer machines and would like to know if anyone here knows a little about them or have worked with one of these models? they are a 153W 103 and a 144W SV36

Looking for some help also with the timing if anyone knows the 153 seams to get out of time every time I break a needle. should it be doing this?

The singer 153-103 is a cylinder arm walking foot sewing machine. If it is black it is a 40's -50's machine. if its grey and some black, it is a 60's early 70's machine. It is the flat-bed version of the Singer 111W155 - flat-bed walking foot needle feed and a feed dog. Most of the parts are still available for them but I dont see many of them anymore.

The machine will sew up to 3/8's and has a 135 X 16 needle system in the mahcine. Largest thread size is a 207 top thread and a 138 bobbin thread. The silver button on the cylinder arm is a saftey clutch to reset the hook if you jam the machine.

The 144 can be a couple of different models. The SV in the model # stands for special variety machine. Exactly what it was you may need to call Singer and see if there is a tech there that can tell you what the SV stood for. The mahcine has 3'4" of lift and will sew 5/8" of material. It is has a rotary hook and they are still available. they made them primarily for the heavy canvas and are still used for sewing horse pads today.

hope this helps

The singer 153-103 is a cylinder arm walking foot sewing machine. If it is black it is a 40's -50's machine. if its grey and some black, it is a 60's early 70's machine. It is the flat-bed version of the Singer 111W155 - flat-bed walking foot needle feed and a feed dog. Most of the parts are still available for them but I dont see many of them anymore.

The machine will sew up to 3/8's and has a 135 X 16 needle system in the mahcine. Largest thread size is a 207 top thread and a 138 bobbin thread. The silver button on the cylinder arm is a saftey clutch to reset the hook if you jam the machine.

The 153 has a saftey clutch. it is on the bottom shaft by the right end of the machine. there is an adjustment screw that can be tightened so the machien doesnt knock out of time. If you tighten the screw and it still knocks out of time you will need to replace that saftey clutch.

The 144 can be a couple of different models. The SV in the model # stands for special variety machine. Exactly what it was you may need to call Singer and see if there is a tech there that can tell you what the SV stood for. The mahcine has 3'4" of lift and will sew 5/8" of material. It is has a rotary hook and they are still available. they made them primarily for the heavy canvas and are still used for sewing horse pads today.

hope this helps

I'm wondering if anyone can tell if this is out of time, if so how to fix I pushed the button and turned the wheel backwards and no click and still will not sew. Im Very frustrated!! I have so much work piled up and can not get anyone out here to take a look at this, I hope I can get some answers here.

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

Hello! I see the safety lever is not in contact. It is the arrow looking piece to the right of the top screw in the bottom picture. Make sure your needle lines up with the feed dog and take a screwdriver and push the safety lever back into the groove. It should snap right back in. Good luck.

Hello! I see the safety lever is not in contact. It is the arrow looking piece to the right of the top screw in the bottom picture. Make sure your needle lines up with the feed dog and take a screwdriver and push the safety lever back into the groove. It should snap right back in. Good luck.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I don't know a lot of the part names of my machines yet. could possibly you point it out?

What is a feed dog? and where is the safety leaver so I know that I'm looking at the right part.

The lever needs to be pushed down and locked into "one" of the notches on the main shaft. There is more than one notch. The feed dog is the part, with the teeth, that the needle goes into that grabs the material on the top part of the machine. Sense there is more than one notch on the main shaft, you need to know which notch the lever goes into. If the needle does not line up with the feed dog after you push the lever into a notch, try another notch until the needle lines up with the feed dog. That's it. I hope this helps. Good luck!

153clutch2.JPG

post-8022-1237650951_thumb.jpg

Did ya get your machine going yet? Let us know.