Sign in to follow this  

Hi back again with another question. What can you folks tell me about Standard Saddle Tree Co., Vernal Utah. I found this tree in a saddle built by L. White Houston Texas. I was told by several saddle makers here in Canada that where supposed to have known him that the saddle was about 75 years old, but what I found for markings on the tree I won't by the age. The tree appears to be stamped 8/69. It is a SF Bowman tree.

Al

1969 will be the year the saddle tree was built. They were one of the most popular tree maker of that time. Lots of white hairs trace back to some of the old standard trees.

Unless the tree had been replaced the age of the saddle would be around that time. SF bowmans were popular in the sixties and early seventies.

Edited by AndyKnight

Thanks Andy

Back in 1996 or 97 Roy McCaughy looked at the saddle, said he had met me Mr. White & figured the saddle was about 60 years old at that time, but I have my doubts after uncovering the tree so that I can re do the saddle. The tree my be newer than the saddle as the pommel was built up to make a wider swell, but I don't see any signs that would indicate that it has been changed. I have attached a photo showing the build up (it is the lighter area).

000_0538.jpg

post-9640-1238595739_thumb.jpg

wasn't sure what it was, took it off, pulled all the nails that was adheard to, and brought it back down to the original swell. When I chipped it off reminded me of glue & saw dust. Not sure why it was put in can only guess that the customer wanted a bit more swell up front.

Thanks for your replies Andy I have seen your work & I like what I have seen.

Al

The paste was used to " glue"the fork cover on and to fill any voids. Very common back then. Some guys still use it.