Randyc

Need T-Nut Size Information and sources.

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to build some IWB holsters. My designs have the wings off to the side. I'm planning to attach the belt loops using t-nuts. I plan on using 2 pieces of 6/7 oz. leather and 6/7 oz. belt loops. I need to know the length of the t-nut posts that would work best with this thickness of leather including the fold over thickness of the belt loops?

Lastly, I need a supplier for the t-nuts and related hardware (black in color)

Thanks,

Randy

RandyC: Two thicknesses of 6-7 oz. leather will be about 3/16" to 7/32" finished thickness. Adding in your belt loop at 7-9 oz. would mean a total thickness to be fastened at about 5/16" to 3/8". I would recommend a tee-nut of #6 X 1/4" shaft length, with a #6 machine screw of 3/8" length to secure the snap base through the belt loop and to the underlying tee-nut. This should provide a secure fastening of hardware to leather with some compression fit.

The #6 machine screw is just about perfect for the diameter of the fastening hole in the snap stud with no worries about screw head interfering with snap engagement.

Try boltdepot(dot)com for good service and reasonable prices. Don't know about colors, so you may have to shop around for that aspect of your project, or finish those parts separately to match your other hardware. I use the zinc-plated tee-nuts and screws as provided, at very reasonable prices, with no problems reported.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone tried a threaded clinch nut? I don't know about this company so I cannot vouch for them...They were just the first one that popped up when I looked them up for informational purposes.

Threaded Clinch Nut Rivet Style

I have bought tons of t nuts from Fastenal stores but, I have never been able to get them in black from there. You can also buy online Fastenal T Nuts. Likewise I don't remember Bolt Depot, Rockler, McFeelys, Woodworkers Supply, Lee Valley and other wood supply places having black ones. Some of them have zinc ones and some have stainless ones but I haven't seen any black ones at these places.

Regards,

Ben

Look in the For Sale section, Rawhide Leather has/had a supply of black T-Nuts. I've bought a set and good man to deal with.

I also keep a supply from McMasterCarr. Those have a smaller diameter footprint which work great in tighter areas.

The "TNuts" from DOT Fasterners Direct are the square type without prongs. I have a supply of those as well but I don't use them much.

Look like these: lg_Stainless_Steel_T-NutPrimary-Image.jpg

I don't have a comparison photo to show you though, we're still living on the road.

Edited by Shorts

I get the T-nuts from lowe's and they are for the 6/32 screws. As far as the snaps go I buy them from paragear.com, I buy the pull the dot and they are black and are priced at .85 per set with a $25 minimum order. I like the pull the dot because they can only be release by pulling them in one direction. Hope this helps.

Will 8-32 screws fit as well as 6-32 inside the snaps? I've been using DOT snaps and I noticed there is even less room then line 24s.

These are 8-32 size threads.

These are 8-32 size threads.

Aye, but will the head of a 8-32 screw fit inside the male end of a line 24 snap. For example, I'm currently using 6-32 screws and 6-32 t nuts and the head of a 6-32 screw fits just right in side the line 24 male snap and the DOT snaps.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

THanks!!!

Edited by woolfe

Aye, but will the head of a 8-32 screw fit inside the male end of a line 24 snap. For example, I'm currently using 6-32 screws and 6-32 t nuts and the head of a 6-32 screw fits just right in side the line 24 male snap and the DOT snaps.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

THanks!!!

No idea. I use screw studs.

Only 8x32 Flat Undercut machine screws will fit in the DOT snaps.

Only 8x32 Flat Undercut machine screws will fit in the DOT snaps.

I use 6x32 in my dot pull the dot fasteners and the fit fine, I will have to try the 8x32 and let you know.

If you try to use normal size 8x32 screws in line 24 snaps, you will flare out the top of the stud making the snap very hard to undo. Pull the DOT snaps have even less room to accommodate the screw head.

this works for the male piece of Line 24 snaps.

McMaster-Carr part number 92220A152.

Edited by 1Man

No idea. I use screw studs.

Monica, are you using the DOT line 24 snap screw studs for attaching snap loops ? 8-32?

Edited by woodandsteel

Monica, are you using the DOT line 24 snap screw studs for attaching snap loops ? 8-32?

Yes.