Sign in to follow this  
Ben

A rookie's second saddle

This is my second saddle. Jon Watsabaugh inspired the in-skirt rig. I would like to thank everyone who makes this site a possibility and all those who contribute to it. Any suggestions as I go the third would be appreciated.

Front_1.jpg Front_2.jpg Left_Side_1.jpg Rear_1.jpg

Thanks,

Ben Knickerbocker

post-5032-1239826799_thumb.jpg

post-5032-1239826886_thumb.jpg

post-5032-1239826903_thumb.jpg

post-5032-1239826926_thumb.jpg

Ben

I think it's a fine looking saddle especially for your second one. Let me say I've never built a saddle so take what I say for what it's worth. The thing that sticks out to me is it looks like I can see the bars of the tree just below the seat. I don't know if there is some way to build that up for a better transition or how ya go about getting it done so it would be more comfortable and not rub on your leg. I could be and probably am full of s**t as I've never built a saddle. Maybe one of the saddle makers will give their opinion.

I will say that anyone that takes on the daunting job of building a saddle has my respect as it is truly an art.

Mike

Mike

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to work on that transition from the top of the seat down towards the skirt and stirrup leather.

Ben

Edited by Ben

looks good. i use a 3/8 inch plastic that is skived flush and has a small bend so when i rub out the seat i don't get stirrup dips .I also learned to build a ground seat to keep that to a minimum . Looks like the ears and the rear housing and the tough spots to cut are clean. keep it up good job.

Good job, Ben. I'll let others with more experience help you with the stirrup slots but it looks like you pulled your plugs out to soon when fitting the seat?

Vaya Con Dios, Alan

Thanks CJF and Alan for the feed back. I didn't have any plugs in when I rubbed the seat down. I will keep that in mind next time.

Thanks again,

Ben