Sign in to follow this  

For those of you that oil and sun dye/expose your work, how do you do it?

Oil, let it thoroughly dry, and then place it out in the sun? Also, how long do you, as a rule-of-thumb, leave it out for? (I know it's an art, not a science. Just a general guideline if you would.) Also, noon sun or less intense morning/ afternoon exposure?

Thanks Guys (and Gals).

Harvey

Los Angeles

I have just oiled it and laid it out on the spa cover for 4-5 hours seems to work ok. I did make the mistake of leaving a few un-oiled pieces on top of each other in the basement where light from a window hit them, a few weeks later I had leather with a suntan matching the pieces laying on top. I was able to even them out by laying them in the sun for the day. If you buy a leather kit from a store that has been on the shelf for sometime the same thing happens if sunlight has been hitting the package.

I have just oiled it and laid it out on the spa cover for 4-5 hours seems to work ok. I did make the mistake of leaving a few un-oiled pieces on top of each other in the basement where light from a window hit them, a few weeks later I had leather with a suntan matching the pieces laying on top. I was able to even them out by laying them in the sun for the day. If you buy a leather kit from a store that has been on the shelf for sometime the same thing happens if sunlight has been hitting the package.

when I first started tooling I bought a couple of wallet kits. when I opened them they were both like that. Didn't know why on earth they would put lousy, two colored leather in the pack. I was a little p.o'ed and just threw them out. that's very interesting to know, thanks Jordan.

ShirleyZ

can someone post pics of tehese sun tanned dead cows please!!!!

I would like to see this.....what kind of oil do you use?

When I do seats this way, I do 2 coat of oil, let it dry completely, then do a second coat. When it's about 1/2 dry, I wrap it in cellophane tightly as to have no wrinkles and put it in the sun for 4-6 hours. Turns it a nice golden.

Gary

I let my finished project sit in the direct sunlight....once it is warm to the touch, I appy neatsfoot oil with a patch of shearing. I sit it back out in the direct sunlight until the oil is absorbed completly into the leather. It will sit outside until I get the color I want.

misc_059.jpg

post-5622-1240527456_thumb.jpg

Good to find this thread.... as I was wondering if as the weather gets less nice it is possible to suntan behind glass or plastic. Thanks too to the other thread that discusses making a reflective sun box to speed process.