Art

Ellis Barnes

I have heard that Ellis Barnes has passed. He was a great guy and was ok when I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. He will be missed.

I have no further information.

Art

Thanks for the heads up.

Ellis was one helluva curmudgeon. Spunky, spirited and salty. And he sure made good tools. I guess this is a heads up: what will they say about each and every one us when we head to the Sand Hills?

Harvey

Los Angeles

I received his tools recently but got a chance to speak with him. Scissormedic and I were planning a trip this summer to visit his shop. I know that he and his wife had the business up for sale and Lonnie had just got out of the hospital. Man, what a blow.

Yesterday afternoon Steven Siegel sent out an email that read;

"It is with great sadness to inform you of the passing of a

great person, Ellis Barnes of Gomph-Hackbarth Tools."

Apparently Ellis died of heart trouble.

He made some excellent tools.

I can't stop thinking about Ellis Barnes since reading of his death. He was such a "full of life" character. While I only talked with him over the phone six or so times, he was always full of energy and eager to answer my questions. He made me feel like an good friend.

Wasn't Mr. Barnes in his late eighties? He told me he had diabetes and was in a wheelchair. In spite of age and health problems that didn't stop him from working everyday. He mentioned that he graduated from UCLA with a degree in metallurgy which may explain why his tools worked so well.

Using his tools will always remind me of him and our conversations.

Farewell Mr. Barnes!

This info was on another fourm:

The funeral will be at Glenhaven Memorial Cemetary located at 13017 Lopez Canyon Rd. Sylmar, CA on May the 7th at 12:00 pm ...The body can be viewed from 11:00-11:45pm prior to the funeral.

I got this information from Lonnie. He is taking over the business and is the CEO of Lonnie Height Hackbarth tools.