Sign in to follow this  
yldbill

first try at holster

This is my first attempt at a holster, it didn't fit my gun, but luckily it fit my future son-in-law's gun.

Bill

holster.JPG

post-10205-1242267810_thumb.jpg

Bill,

My 50 plus year old eyes can't see the stitching or edges so I can't comment on those things. The molding looks pretty good as well as the pattern of your holster. I't does look to me that your belt slots could be cleaned up a bit. Tell us a little more about the weight leather you used and I'd like to know which pistol you made the holster for? Believe me, I know what it's like to build a holster and not have it fit it's attended weapon. The key to building holsters is to keep on keeping on. I learn something new every time I build a holster and try to make the current one better then the last one.

Now get busy and build a holster to fit your weapon and don't forget to take pictures and ask questions. You have some of the best and most helpful hobby and prefessional holster makers hanging out on this forum.

Randy

Bill,

My 50 plus year old eyes can't see the stitching or edges so I can't comment on those things. The molding looks pretty good as well as the pattern of your holster. I't does look to me that your belt slots could be cleaned up a bit. Tell us a little more about the weight leather you used and I'd like to know which pistol you made the holster for? Believe me, I know what it's like to build a holster and not have it fit it's attended weapon. The key to building holsters is to keep on keeping on. I learn something new every time I build a holster and try to make the current one better then the last one.

Now get busy and build a holster to fit your weapon and don't forget to take pictures and ask questions. You have some of the best and most helpful hobby and prefessional holster makers hanging out on this forum.

Randy

Randy,

Since this was my first attempt I went to Tandy's and got some 6-7 oz leather to work with. The stitching was done by hand , with nylon waxed thread. I used a 4-prong punch to space the holes for sewing. The belt loops do look pretty rough but I wasn't sure how to dress them up at the time, I have read some more suggestions here and am looking forward to starting my next one. I think I know where I screwed up the first time. I only allowed 3/8 around the gun and because my pistol is a large frame I think I should have allowed 1/2 inch aroundthe gun. the current holster fits a Smith &Wesson but I don't know the model.. Thanks for the feed back and encouragement.

This is my first attempt at a holster, it didn't fit my gun, but luckily it fit my future son-in-law's gun.

Bill

For a first time attempt, the holster looks very, very good!