:helpsmilie: Hey does anybody know where to get some good quality barb wire stamps? Not the little ones, but the bigger saddle stamps. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Barry King makes good stamps for that. His won't bend under normal use. They're stainless steel. and well made.

Thanks Bob. I've got his catalog, but near as I can tell he doesn't make barb wire ones. We already use his basket stamps and you're right, they are very well made!

Lacey

Thanks Bob. I've got his catalog, but near as I can tell he doesn't make barb wire ones. We already use his basket stamps and you're right, they are very well made!

Lacey

Barry does make a barb wire stamp....just call him. I have a set and they work well.

I have a two sets also, there are 3 sizes now, he didn't have the medium size until most recently. You maybe looking for his large size for saddles. The small one is good for belts and small items. Hide Crafter used to carry Barry's tools. You may check and see their online catalog for pictures.

Jerimiah Watt of Horseshoe Brand Tools has several sizes as well Weaver Leather carries them or his web address is ranch2arena.com

I have two sizes of Barbwire (of the three made) from Custom Leather Tools of Texas that I got back in 1999 - I was unable to get the largest, as John "went silent" and I fear he has gone over the Great Divide. I also have a couple of basketweaves, incredible quality. The quality of his tools is so far past anything else I have ever used, it's plumb scary. He used EDM (??) machining to do the stamping heads, wow, what a nice result.

Am still looking for more of his work. Has anyone here seen or used John's stamps?

Kate,

I have a couple CLTs and they are very good. They came from ebay and looked like McMillens in the pics. I really didn't know much about them until I got those. My friend probably has a good a set of using stamps from several makers as anyone. I have access to them, and he has about 20 of the CLTs. I made impressions of all his stamps the last time I had them here. He has all three BW stamps from CLT.

Kate,

I have a couple CLTs and they are very good. They came from ebay and looked like McMillens in the pics. I really didn't know much about them until I got those. My friend probably has a good a set of using stamps from several makers as anyone. I have access to them, and he has about 20 of the CLTs. I made impressions of all his stamps the last time I had them here. He has all three BW stamps from CLT.

Bruce, I'd would LOVE to see more of these. I saw some work by somebody in Idaho who had the Barbwire stamps - they are so easily recognizable - but there aren't many out there.

The last time I spoke with John, he was winding down, and mentioned his heart issues (that had forced him into retirement from "regular work"). He said he was trying to finish out a complete set of his patterns for each of his three kids while he could still do it. He sent me a couple of stamps gratis, in a brown envelope, and then I never heard another thing - I'd sent money for that last and largest BW stamp, check was never cashed nor returned. He was a good guy, and is missed.

Kate

Bob at Okanagan Saddlery had a set that worked well for saddles. He might tell you where he got them.

I just bought a set of HideCrafters, but they are out of the big size. They are the Procrafter series, so they are one step above craft japan, but below Barry King.

I just bought a set of HideCrafters, but they are out of the big size. They are the Procrafter series, so they are one step above craft japan, but below Barry King.

I had a set of those stamps. They look real nice for sure. But make no mistake, if you expect to hit them with a maul and wish to get good color into your stamping.... they will bend. Good luck, I hope they work for ya.

I had a set of those stamps. They look real nice for sure. But make no mistake, if you expect to hit them with a maul and wish to get good color into your stamping.... they will bend. Good luck, I hope they work for ya.

I too had a couple of the Procrafter series tools bend. Bob's warning is not without merit. Good luck.

Regards,

Ben