megabit

Gail Hought's bosal books?

I would like very much to move up the braiding food chain and making bosals is certainly a goal. So my question is are these worth getting? I have her "Art of Braiding: The Basics" and didn't find it to be quite as helpful as I had hoped. Is it worth getting her bosal books or should I just re-read Alan's tutorial (again)?

Mike

I would like very much to move up the braiding food chain and making bosals is certainly a goal. So my question is are these worth getting? I have her "Art of Braiding: The Basics" and didn't find it to be quite as helpful as I had hoped. Is it worth getting her bosal books or should I just re-read Alan's tutorial (again)?

Mike

I have both and love them. Very helpful when it comes to adding more than one interweave string. I know you were having a touch of trouble with your quirt when it came to coverage on the handle, learning how to add more than 1 interweave would come in very handy. However, I don't make bosals except little key chain bosals. The instructions for making bosals are very detailed though and have great pictures.

Course I loved her first book! I couldn't live without it. I'm helping someone learn to braid that bought the older edition, could this be what you have? I wasn't crazy about that one at all, I prefer the revised first book.

I also like the rein book. There are a couple of new buttons in that one and since I'm used to her way of teaching it really works for me.

No it is the revised one I have. I like the book just didn't end up finding it to be as helpful in the long run as I expected.

The adding more interweaves is something I could certainly use some help with, that sure sounds helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

I have one of her books and like it very much.

Is it just me or is there a bit of a problem with our board?

It's really amazing how we all learn, I couldn't live without those books! The first one sat on my lap for about 3 months while I learned to make buttons. Then after I had the buttons down by heart someone here taught me how to increase my turns and then increase bights.

Interweaves are a bit tricky for me yet so I would suggest both books rather than just one or the other. I've figured out how to add a second weave to all sizes and bights it just that sometimes it's easier to start on the side of the standing end and sometimes it easier to start on the other side and I haven't done enough to figure out when that is. LOL...

Is it just me or is there a bit of a problem with our board?

Not sure I follow your point. The only problem I have is that I would like to see more post. :)

It's really amazing how we all learn, I couldn't live without those books! The first one sat on my lap for about 3 months while I learned to make buttons. Then after I had the buttons down by heart someone here taught me how to increase my turns and then increase bights.

Interweaves are a bit tricky for me yet so I would suggest both books rather than just one or the other. I've figured out how to add a second weave to all sizes and bights it just that sometimes it's easier to start on the side of the standing end and sometimes it easier to start on the other side and I haven't done enough to figure out when that is. LOL...

I have a handful of books (Grant, Hought and Woolery) and use them along with this site and Knotheads site. The big ahh haa came when it clicked on how to increase a knot.

I guess it's just me then, now that's alarming, darn computer anyway. Most the graphics are gone. I just see text.

I'd like to see more posts too but it is spring after all and I do believe most of us are outside people. I know right now I should be picking up horse poop and fixing a fence so the goats can't get to my horse hay. Darn goats ate up most of a bale on the bottom of a 4 high stack and brought the whole stack down. I woke up this morning to find the horses gorging on my hay!! And don't ask me why the hay was stacked right on top of the other, I hadn't noticed until I had the problem this morning. I try not to stack my own anymore.

I have ALL of Gail's books and couldn't live without them! I've been braiding for almost 6 years now and I still find myself referring back to some things (old age = brain blips!). One of my favorites is the romal rein book. There are a lot of interesting buttons in there. But if you are looking to do bosals, you would need to purchase her FIRST bosal book. She lays down the basics in that book and then refers to them in the second. So if you buy the second first, you will be totally lost! LOL! Sorry if that doesn't make sense! :D Her books are sequential ..... in book 4 she will refer to a techinque and diagram in book 2 (or whatever). It's nice to have them all so that you CAN refer back if needed!

Love and Light,

Maeve

I bought the basics revised edition when I started and found it very helpful, but I think that it is what it says "basic" and that is about all I can accomplish is basic stuff. I hope I'm not robbing this thread but what would someone suggest purchasing next the bosal book or the romel reins book for learning how to extending buttons.

Rick

Edited by buckskin1

I bought the basics revised edition when I started and found it very helpful, but I think that it is what it says "basic" and that is about all I can accomplish is basic stuff. I hope I'm not robbing this thread but what would someone suggest purchasing next the bosal book or the romel reins book for learning how to extending buttons.

Rick

Actually extending the button should be in the book you have, but here's some instructions from rawhide...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...utton&st=20

That book isn't as basic as you might think. It's the foundation for everything. I was braiding a year and a half before I was ready to move on to other books.

i have a questionfor all. i had alot of problems making turks head a while back and loooked and looked and loked some more on the internet and finally found goldenknots.com he is a jeweler who makes knotted rings and bracelets along wth other stuff but my point is he has great tutorial on how to tie THs "in hand" from a 5x4 and shows you how to increase the knots to make a 7x6 9x8 an the same principals i learned fromhim can be used to make larger knots. all of these are interweavable in both hearing bone and gaucho knots as well as pinneaples which are hering bones but with nested bits any way. i've been reading several posts on books in this forum and i havent read of any one mention TOM HALL . he has great books with unique buttons, terminal knots and has a great turks head book "introduction to turksheads" this is by far one of the best books y have ever baught. it is a must have if you want to make tack. "western tack tips" and more western tck tips" should be on anyones shelf if they want to make tack. between B. Grants and T. Halls' books i personally beleive nobdy could need any other book to learn how to make anythig fron bosals to reins.

let me clarify that i don't have gales books but i really dont feel the need becase i learned more than i can remember from the above mentioned books. this is just my two cents but for those that do have her books and love them more power to you. besides the books i mentioned cost half of what i've seen gales books sell for. i will say that only a couple of people carry T. halls books but i got them from Martin Combs (the nicest person i've ever met) and i'm deployed but he helped me ALOT he is a great source for R. Edwards books also.

I think that as Gail still charges for her books and makes money off the hard work that went in to making them, no offense, but you should pay for them like the rest of us. I think it completely defeats the purpose of others trying to teach and pass on the information they have spent an entire lifetime learning to just have it wasted when there is a lot of expense that goes into producing and publishing a small series of books such as this. If the problem is maybe in shipping, email Gail and she may have them in a downloadable form that you can pay her for.

CW

Mike, I have both bosal books and i think they are very informative and a nice reference addition to a book collection. As far as you are along with braiding I think I would just buy the advance book on bosals.

Bret.

Mike, I have both bosal books and i think they are very informative and a nice reference addition to a book collection. As far as you are along with braiding I think I would just buy the advance book on bosals.

Bret.

:) I have them both at this point my original post was from 2009.