TraditionalTools

Head/rounding knife

I was thinking that it might be cool to forge a tool that I could use for working leather.

I don't have a head/rounding knife and was thinking that might be something I could make.

I have an old plow disc that a friend gave me, and I was thinking that might assist in creating such a knife.

I have to tell you, I had an odd experience when I acquired some leather to line some vises a month or two ago. I was wanting to cut a small piece off a section of 16oz veg-tan. I grabed a small handsaw that was laying on the bench, and took a couple cuts when I realized I didn't want any dead animal skin dust to breath...got the heebee-jeebees, and decided I must always use a straight edge to cut the leather, no serrated edges of any type.

The head/rounding knife seems like a nice one would allow you to apply pressure and roll it through your cut.

I'm currently using a small rotary cutter that belongs to my daughter she uses to cut fleece for hats, it works well, but a hand forged tool would be way kewler, IMO... :rolleyes:

Anyone made any of their own cutters, and if so, please post them.

I made one from an old saw blade, pic in this section. got the idea from here (july 96). Not the prettiest tool but it works for me.

Edited by ferret

I made this one at an event I host with Bark River Knife and Tool...

Ice_In_3.jpg

I had to take it apart and shorten the handle but it's perfect now.

I made this one at an event I host with Bark River Knife and Tool...

Ice_In_3.jpg

I had to take it apart and shorten the handle but it's perfect now.

OMG, that's a beauty!

How did you make the blade?

Ferret, I like the idea of using the circular blade, and had a simialr thought in why I mentioned the plow disc I have, but it seems a bit big, at least it has an arc to start. The circular saw blade could be the quickest route to getting one completed, not that I take the quick route, I'm usually stubborn and prefer to waste more cycles on something nicer...:-/

Sharpshooter, that is really sharp...

Thats a nice round knife. Looks great and I'll bet it is comfortable to use.

Hey everyone, I've got a question that I hope Sharpshooter can answer for me. Since you help host a show with Bark River I have a question about one of their knives? I have a knife that belongs to a friend made by Bark River, he wanted me to cut down the case so that he can get a better grip on the knife when he takes it out of the case. The case is nice and I don't see where cutting it down is gonna help his problem. He is assistant solicitor down here and shet sponser a couple of youth groups and take them on canoe trips down the Pee Dee River, and I believe that they camp for a night on an island. He takes this knife and told me that he has almost lost it 2 or 3 times when he was around the water and trying to get it out of the case for something. The handle on this knife is some kind of hard, plastic type stuff really don't know what the material is, but it is as slick as if had been oiled with machine oil. And no it hasn't been, it's just the material. If you can think of what it is and what we/I could do to help him with this problem we both would appreciate it a lot. Other than the handle being too slick to hold on to it is a fine knife. I have only handle it with dry hand and can really imagine that it would be a monster to hold on to when they are wet. Anyway thanks for any help. Regards Billy P

The blade was made from flat stock we had in the shop, ground it to shape and convexed it. It's nice to have a knife shop right next door.

Billy,

The handles are slick? Bark River uses a bunch of different materials for handles, over 100 options at last count. Without seeing the material it's hard to know what we're dealing with. Regardless, the knife is warranted unconditionally so you can't mess it up beyond repair.

I would take some 600 grit sandpaper to the handle, wet sand it to knock off the slick. If that doesn't do the job, send it to the shop and ask Donna to get it to me, we'll straighten it out and turn it around ASAP.

Or shoot me a Private topic and we'll get you taken care of.

The blade was made from flat stock we had in the shop, ground it to shape and convexed it. It's nice to have a knife shop right next door.
Not fortunate enough to have a knife shop next door, but am fortunate to have the ambition to try things... -_-

Again, great looking knife, I need to try making one myself. I think that means a matter of waiting for the ambition to kick in... :unsure: