Sign in to follow this  
Randyc

Popular Sig Sauer Models

Today, a potential customer contacted me with a request for OWB holsters for his Sig Sauer P-229 and P-239 pistols. Are these 2 models popular enough to warrant the investment in Blue Gun molds?

Thanks,

Randy

The Sig models 229, 228, 239, 225, 220, and 230/232 have been consistent sellers for me. The main problem seems to be the rails, so many variations! I have nearly a full desk drawer filled with Sig dummies! But at least each one gets used frequently, so I don't really mind.

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest that you order them. Both the 229 and 239 are popular concealed carry firearms. I even invested in the Sig 2022 for a customer of mine. Both he and his father use them for competition and they've ordered several holsters and mag/double mag carriers from me.

Randy,

I started out building the vast majority of my holsters for officers of my department and we are issued the Sig series pistols (P220, P220R, P239, P245). I ordered my first Sig blue gun for a P220R and have been using it to build holsters for the non-railed version, as well as the P226 (with or without rails). The slightly thicker frame/dust cover of the railed gun doesn't cause any issue when the holster made for it is used with a non-railed gun. If the gun is properly molded and the stitching is close to the outline of the gun, it will hold/retain either pistol (railed or non-railed) just fine.

The P239 is a very popular handgun with our detectives and smaller statured officers and I have build several holsters for it as well. I have not broken down and purchased a blue gun for this model yet, as I have access to the real firearm and the purse strings have gotten tightened recently.

Up till about 6 months ago, I had not received a request for a P229 holster. When I did, it was from a full time firearms instructor for our state police, who informed me that he would direct business my way, if anyone asked about his holster.... Thinking this was a pretty good indicator of future business, I ordered the blue gun for the P229R. After I made his holster with it, it took me about 3 months to start getting more orders in for the model. Since the few orders I have filled after the purchase of the P229R paid for it, I consider it a wise move.

I don't see any point in having a blue gun for each specific model, if you can make another blue gun "multi-task" to fit the need. My P220R blue gun is used to make holsters for the P220R, P220, P226, P226R and an open bottom pancake holster that is popular with my Detectives who carry the P245 (it allows them to use their full sized gun in the same holster). Thats 5 models of guns for the price of the one blue gun.

Obviously the P229 and P239 are stand alone guns due to their frame sizes, but I just wanted to explain how I can minimize the number of blue guns needed to build a variety of holsters for several models.

Not knowing who your customers are, I would recommend finding out what the larger police agencies in your area are issuing and what the officers are purchasing for back up guns. That will always be a good place to start your blue gun collection. Around here there are 3 big names in the L.E. market, Glock, Sig, and 1911 (Various makes, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Para, etc.). Since the vast majority of my customers are in L.E. locally, I started out with those three makes (with a couple models from each make, i.e. G22, G23, G27). I also found out that the Smith & Wesson J-frame guns were a popular back up/off duty gun, so I added one to the blue gun collection.

At any rate, this has worked for me..... Your milage may vary.

Good luck.

-Tac

Both the SIG 229 and 239 are fairly popular models, especially for concealed carry.

With respect to which "versions" to get is going to be dependent on how you make your holsters. The vast majority of the custom holster makers I know utilize the specific model, i.e., 229 or 229R because there is a difference. There's also a difference in size between the 239 .40/.357 sig versus the 9mm frame. The .40/.357 sig is slightly larger. IMO, if you use something other than the specific model in this instance, you're taking a greater chance of the gun not fitting properly and/or the gun becoming loose in the holster down the road. Not the kind of reputation a custom holster maker really wants IMO.