Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Shoulder holster stabilizer straps

Hey folks, I'm going to tackle a shoulder rig for concealed carry. My inquiry is about the straps, one on each side, that links from the holster/mag pouch down to the belt. It is the straps that keep the bottom of the holster from flopping around away from the body.

Some rigs don't use anything, some use straight leather (stability, but provides no room for movement), and some use elastic (stability and movement, but the elastic wears out eventually).

Is there a compromise, technique or material that can provide stability and movement without wearing out like elastic does? Or is the answer to build a replaceable strap using elastic?

Here's what I did for one that I made. It may not be what you want but maybe you can get some other ideas from it.

Butch

Shoulder Holster

From my duty days, I had a rig like you just described Shorts. The 'strap' that extended down from the pouches/holster was a expandible strap (can't think of the name right now, old timers disease). Anyways, you want something that is flexible for when they bend over, or reach for something. This way it gives a little, but it doesn't allow it to 'flop' around. I.....don't believe......I have it any more. I know that I have my last one I wore before they were no longer 'cool' to wear if you need a model. it looks a lot like the one displayed by a previous responder, but the 'flexible' or elastic strap joins the two shoulder pieces behind the shoulder blades, again to allow it to give a bit.

Anyways, you know you are always welcome to have anything I have here. I may even have a 'Make It With Leather' pattern around somewhere. Just drop me a email. you have the address.

Good luck. :deadsubject:

From my duty days, I had a rig like you just described Shorts. The 'strap' that extended down from the pouches/holster was a expandible strap (can't think of the name right now, old timers disease). Anyways, you want something that is flexible for when they bend over, or reach for something. This way it gives a little, but it doesn't allow it to 'flop' around. I.....don't believe......I have it any more. I know that I have my last one I wore before they were no longer 'cool' to wear if you need a model. it looks a lot like the one displayed by a previous responder, but the 'flexible' or elastic strap joins the two shoulder pieces behind the shoulder blades, again to allow it to give a bit.

Anyways, you know you are always welcome to have anything I have here. I may even have a 'Make It With Leather' pattern around somewhere. Just drop me a email. you have the address.

Good luck. :deadsubject:

Thanks Sam. You hit the nail on the head describing what it is I'm working on. I'll dig around online and see if I can find that strap. I may have to prep those and maybe an extra set to go with the finished rig so if they do need replacing, they're already on hand.

The customer wants the rig styled in the Galco Miami Classic design and it'll be used for conceal carry.

Shoulder holsters are rough to develop. A lot depends on the build of the person and the mass and dimensions of the gun they pack.