mliebs8

Had a few clicker dies made

I had a few clicker dies made and didn't really understand why they were called clicker dies. After I pressed out my first piece I think I know why they call them clicker dies but I just wanted to make sure. Is it normal for the press to make a loud pop when the piece is pressed out? The first time I did it I almost had a heart attack, I actually thought my press broke.

I had a few clicker dies made and didn't really understand why they were called clicker dies. After I pressed out my first piece I think I know why they call them clicker dies but I just wanted to make sure. Is it normal for the press to make a loud pop when the piece is pressed out? The first time I did it I almost had a heart attack, I actually thought my press broke.

What type of press do you have ? yes it is nornal for a clicker press to pop, if you have a tippmann it will do that to let you know it is cut through the leather you might want to turn down the presser of the press you are runing. the thicker the leather the more it will pop.

rich

My understanding is that clickers are leather cutters (originally human). When cutting fine leathergoods they use steel to cut on to get a clean cut, hence the clicking sound. Seems like I've heard another explanation, but I don't remember it. I have tried cutting on steel and it does give a very clean cut. NO, I don't use my Don Carlos, I use a #5?(red plastic handle) x-acto knife with an anged blade and use it like a swivel knife. Kevin

I'm just using a basic 20 ton bottle neck press to do the dies.