tashabear

steampunky stuff

My husband and I go to a furry con in Pittsburgh every year. I always run his table, because when he's drawing, he gets into this zone where he won't notice people even if they're standing over him with fistfuls of cash wanting to commission artwork. This year, I'm taking on an additional challenge by running my own table at the same time.

To that end, I've been working on making some artist's accoutrements with a steampunk vibe to go with the things I have left over from the SCA event I merchanted back in February. Mostly, I'm making bracers with penloops, sketchbook covers, and hopefully a couple of bags. I have a pouch thingy for a sketchbook, but I'm not sure I like it. It'll probably go on the table anyway; there's no telling what people will buy.

I've been using a Preval sprayer for most of the dyeing effects, combined with rubber stamps and stamping masks that I found in the scrapbooking aisle at my local craft store. I may take a bit of a road trip tomorrow to try to find a few more; while I don't mind my pieces having a family resemblance, I don't want them looking too samey.

3655689615_7d8cf4d36e.jpg

Closeup of Tim Holtz masks.

3656485282_5d9106edf0.jpg

Another bracer, made using a mask and two shades of Eco-Flo dye: Java Brown and Bison Brown.

3656485376_8fc4c08b28.jpg

My jury-rigged spray hood

3659578132_aa2e77e8bf.jpg

Sketchbook satchel -- I used eyelets instead of rivets because the leather is so thin.

3661548841_974eca6260.jpg

Finished artist's bracer. Pen not included. ;-)

3663402473_e694326e5c.jpg

Sketchbook wrap: note the stamps on the left side. I used three layers of color: Canyon Tan, Java Brown, and Bison Brown. I used a crumpled paper towel to dab at pools of dye on the right, to very interesting effect.

This is the leather I had about six weeks ago, that wouldn't case. Nice to see it was good for something!

3663723145_58240c4531.jpg

Completed book wrap. I like it a lot.

3664524144_c972f5a210.jpg

This is what the inside looks like.

Thanks for muddling through all that! My apologies to dial-up users. It's been a while since I made anything I thought I could brag about.

That is some really neat stuff! I may just have to head to a craft store and see if I can find some stuff like that--you have some cool steampunky items right there :)

Great finishing and execution. I love playing with mediums and seeing what comes of it. Keep it up.