Sign in to follow this  
Alan Bell

Saddle #5 Wade

Finally finished saddle no. 5 on a Wade tree by John Calhoun (Ray Holes).

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

DSCF0578-1.jpg

Alan Bell, the saddle looks nice from a distance. The lines look good from here, but only you can see the close up hand work that goes into a hand made saddle. Keep up the good work. It takes alot of work and practice to make a nice saddle.

I don't think I've ever made a saddle that I was completely satisfied with. Saddle makers seem to be the most critical bunch. At least of their own work. It's a good thing to see others saddle work and to be exposed to their critiques and comments over your work. LOL, we don't always come away happy though. :)

I also like the seat jockey lines. nice.

Thanks Bob, I try and think ahead a little more than I used to and plan out the way the lines will look on the finished saddle. I go so long between each saddle that it gets difficult but I have folks like you and the others on this forum to inspire me! Being basically self taught forums like this are a God Send! You are right about being my own critic and while there are things I like about this saddle there are definitely things I dislike about it too. Hopefully I will improve on those things with each saddle I make. My first saddle I went through 5 sides trying to get things right and it still was pretty sorry. I sure could have used this forum then!! Part of my problem has been finding good quality trees and the internet has surely helped along with the folks I met through the Traditional Cowboy Arts Association. At some point in my life I might even take a sabbatical from driving a truck to go and have someone teach me how to make a saddle!

Vaya con Dios, Alan