Sign in to follow this  
UKRay

“Revelation” riveter

I'm looking for a picture and any information about the “Revelation” riveter. Apparently they are very heavy duty beasties but I can't find anyone who knows anything about them.

Hope you can help.

Ray

I'm looking for a picture and any information about the "Revelation" riveter. Apparently they are very heavy duty beasties but I can't find anyone who knows anything about them.

Hope you can help.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Are you sure it's not "Revolution" rather than "Revelation"? Only, there was a firm called "Revolution" that made massive, cutting presses for shoe 'Bottom Stock' many years ago, I've only ever come across "Revelation" luggage.

Most of these heavy duty riveters (similar to the two I have here) work pretty much the same, and can be used with a number of different kinds of rivet.

Steve

I just found one for sale, Steve, and wondered if it was still possible to get bits for it. The guy may be a little 'flakey' and I wouldn't be surprised if he got the name wrong.

There are a couple of other H/duty riveters on eBay at present that I'm tempted to have a go for. They apparently take standard sized No. 9 OOH rivets - have you ever heard of these? Would you know where to get them from?

Ray

Hi Ray,

Are you sure it's not "Revolution" rather than "Revelation"? Only, there was a firm called "Revolution" that made massive, cutting presses for shoe 'Bottom Stock' many years ago, I've only ever come across "Revelation" luggage.

Most of these heavy duty riveters (similar to the two I have here) work pretty much the same, and can be used with a number of different kinds of rivet.

Steve

I just found one for sale, Steve, and wondered if it was still possible to get bits for it. The guy may be a little 'flakey' and I wouldn't be surprised if he got the name wrong.

There are a couple of other H/duty riveters on eBay at present that I'm tempted to have a go for. They apparently take standard sized No. 9 OOH rivets - have you ever heard of these? Would you know where to get them from?

Ray

Hi Ray,

These sound like the same standard No.9 Bifurcated rivets that I use here, they are easy to obtain as they are still in common use. As I said before, these machines can be adapted to take other rivet types as well, but bifurcated are the simplest and strongest to use.

You can get them from a number of suppliers, but the cheapest seem to be from:

OPAS (Southern) Ltd, Enterprise House, St. Lawrence Avenue, Worthing, Sussex BN14 7JH Tel: 01903 239955 or there website at: www.opas.co.uk

They sell most other types of fittings as well.

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

It certainly looks like the sort of thing I had in mind, Terry.

I'm glad those are standard rivets, Steve, I'll put an offer on the thing then...

Thanks guys.

Just to let you know, I did win the auction for one of those post riveters but as it weighs considerably more than I do - and those who know me will understand that this is a serious matter - I'm currently waiting for some young, fit and strong help to get it out of my car.

It uses a number 9 tubular rivet (not a bifurcated one) and has a 'star' shaped anvil at the bottom which appears to split the rivet into four sections and turn each of them over in a different direction (star shaped) to rivet the work. I have seen work with this sort of rivet in it but had no idea how they were used/applied.

There is no obvious name on the machine but it has a foot pedal at the bottom like the one Steve has in Devon. It also has a hopper arrangement with a 'spinning' wheel on the side that seems to sort and arrange the rivets so they auto feed to the head.

Now the gory bit, apparently the bloke who owned it before managed to put a rivet through his hand (through a bone). I had a demo when I collected it and let it suffice to say, I'm going to be VERY careful where I put my fingers!

Ray