danielb

Awl questions

Im thinking about buying Bob Douglas awl, but on the main page/suppliers there is no contact to him. Or im serching in the wrong place. http://www.leatherworker.net/suppliers.htm

I sew straps and use mostly 1mm threads. Which size I will need, or what should i tell Bob while ordering?

Is it also possible to make - - - - - stitch with this awl? Or I will have to always do / / / / / / ? I suppose both "styles" are possible, and it depend only of the angle while making holes. :whatdoyouthink: How about the awl with round shape blade? Maybe thats the best way to - - - - - style stitch?

Awl with roun needle attached - what do you think about sewing with 2 needles the piece of leather where holes for stitching are round?

Best, Daniel :red_bandana:

Edited by danielb

Im thinking about buying Bob Douglas awl, but on the main page/suppliers there is no contact to him. Or im serching in the wrong place. http://www.leatherworker.net/suppliers.htm

I sew straps and use mostly 1mm threads. Which size I will need, or what should i tell Bob while ordering?

Is it also possible to make - - - - - stitch with this awl? Or I will have to always do / / / / / / ? I suppose both "styles" are possible, and it depend only of the angle while making holes. :whatdoyouthink: How about the awl with round shape blade? Maybe thats the best way to - - - - - style stitch?

Awl with roun needle attached - what do you think about sewing with 2 needles the piece of leather where holes for stitching are round?

Best, Daniel :red_bandana:

I can't find Bob's phone # right now but someone will be by shortly with it, I'm sure.

If you want round holes, why not drill them like so many others do anymore?

The diamond shape of the awl helps cut through the leather...I've never used a round one.

But I've been using Bob's for a couple months now and I'm very happy with it...he and his wife are nice to talk to people so just discuss with them what you intend to use the awl for and they will send you the one you need.

I agree with everything Rayban says, Bob and his wife are great to deal with, he will help you decide which awl to get...I wish all tools were as good as his....His number is...307-737-2222...Tom

Bob Douglas 307-737-2222

The reason to use diamond shaped awl is to lay the thread in a specific way. Drilling holes removes leather, and if you don't have tiny drill bits, you'll end up with holes visible on the completed project. Also, drilled holes won't close up around the stitches as well.