Hi all, working on a skull mask for a friend. I've never made a mask before, but it's all cut and tooled and assembled and formed, just need to make it white. It's had no treatment but water so far, and it's now completely dry.

What's next? I have some Eco-Flo white paint, do I just go to town and start putting coats on? I'm not a novice painter, but I've never painted any kind of real surface area on leather before much, and previous attempts were less than satisfactory (the cheap acrylics I used cracked). This thing need to be treated with something, dyed, oiled, what?

Thanks in advance...

danmask2.jpg

Edited by hivemind

Well, 31 page views and no one's piping up, so I just went ahead and painted it right onto the bare leather. We'll see...

I've never used white eco-flo on something that big, but when I paint flowers and such I always mix it with a little water for the first two coats to give it a primer then use it full strength for the other coats.

I would suggest, if possible use an air brush. I have used the ecoflo white paint and it covered well, with several light coats as opposed to one or two heavier coats also I dampen lightly the surface to be painted to get even absorption. I find brushing yields brush marks on larger peices... then let dry and finish. those methods work for me but I am very new to this. I make belts cuffs and stuff not masks but sure look forward to making one sometime.

hope it helps, I look forward to the final product.

I would second that.

Use an airbrush, makes your life a lot easier.

Personally I will never use white on such a large area.

I have only bad experiences with this colour, either not covering well, or peeling off when trying to stich something on it.

Mind you, those were 2 different types of paint used then.

But please let me know how it turned out, or better yet, post a picture of the result.

Hope it works for you.

Kim

danmask4.jpg

Well, I'm not happy yet. It needs more something somewhere. The issue is probably that I based it white, and I should have based it with a bone/parchment color and drybrushed it up - but I only had the one bottle of leather paint, and it's white. Maybe I'll hit the whole thing with some watered down chestnut wash and then drybrush it.

The Tandy Eco-paint-stuff works fine straight onto the leather though. That's about three coats on that. I haven't sealed it with anything yet because I'm not quite through...

Edited by hivemind