Maeve

Suggestions needed

For years my sister has been pleading with me to supply her with items for sale for a booth she has at the POA convention/National and the QH Conference. This year I am actually thinking of doing it. I am so burned out on dog leads and bracelets that I am willing to braid ANYTHING that takes me away from those worlds! LOL! I would love to get back to braiding bridles, romal reins and the likes. Now ... any suggestions as to what the "hot" colors are right now? Do the Western Pleasure riders still strap hobbles to their saddles (can you tell how long it has been since I have been in that arena?)? :whistle: What about quirts or snake whips? Browbands or full bridles with fancy stuff dripping off of them?? Again ... colors. I know that my sister told me that THE hot colors this year are hot pink, lime green and such but I just can't! LOL! There is a good possibility that I am going to have some down time following a surgery this Tuesday so this might just keep my mind going in the right direction. This mind of mine easily strays in the wrong direction if given a chance! LOL! Any input would be helpful. I have until March for the POA Nationals but I'm not sure that I can come up with enough stuff for the QH Futurities. Thanks in advance!

Love and Light,

Maeve

For colors, I'd search the internet for the most recent placings at shows in these breeds. Colors can change a lot in just a short time - I think mainly because if someone wins with a certain color, everyone wants to get that color thinking that it will make them win. (Probably won't help though! :)) I personally just stay away from bright colors and go with naturals, BUT, my work is shown on models, not real horses. However my belief is that if people see a neon green browband, they will only buy it if they happen to have other stuff that matches. It seems to me that naturals match more stuff, so I feel that gives me more opportunity to sell things.

When you are checking out pictures of show winners, check out their gear. I've seen people putting hobbles on saddles again but that might just be in my state, you know? Check a wider group to see what they want out there in the ring. You might also contact some of the actual breeders/showers, or look at their websites - they will probably have pictures of themselves winning classes etc.

Browbands have done well for me (for real horses, not my miniature stuff) but I think quirts are also good. What about roping reins? If you do roping reins though, check the rules to see how they are supposed to attach to the bit. Some shows/groups/breeds don't allow snaps; you have to have it buckle or something.

You could do these smaller projects perhaps, and have a flyer or something made up to say you'll do custom work as well, and then people could call and order bigger more expensive projects - the romal reins and so on. And speaking of that, it reminds me I should post a thread here... I'll just go do that right now... In the meantime good luck with this! It sounds like a GREAT opportunity for you!

Thanks for the input! I agree about the colors. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of neon tack that I can't sell! THAT would have to be a special request! I questioned my sister about what was "in" but she has no clue. She and her husband are into cutting horses which is a whole different ball game. She suggested key chains, bracelets (blech!), headstalls, and hatbands. I might throw in a few other things as well. I'm just curious about which of brandy, whiskey, natural or black is the preferred color. I love my Alamar browband/headstall that I designed and want to make a couple of those. But I want to make sure that I make them in preferable colors!

I've been resisting her offer for YEARS! I just don't want to make this a business. I wrecked one hobby by turning it into a business and ended up with 48 employees. When people asked me what I did for a living, I told them I ran Florida's largest adult day care facility! LOL! That is what it felt like at the time. I know that this can't be the same as I can't hire help but I still don't want to be pressured into filling orders. So I want to make things and sell what I have on hand. If she can do that, great! I LOVE braiding and I enjoy creating new ideas. But to mass produce under pressure!?!? Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. No more!

Love and Light,

Maeve

Well... as far as the colors you have listed, I think there are only 4, and that is good. Don't give too many choices! I learned this the hard way. Maybe make one of each or make one of each color that *YOU* like. That way, you won't ever have to make any in a color you don't like. And if it doesn't sell, you'll have it as an example and be able to say "And I can make this in (fill in color that sold) too!".

As far as preferable colors - well, who knows. I once had made something I was not satisfied with and told a friend of mine that it looked stupid. She said, "You don't know what looks stupid, and neither do I." She was right - it sold, and the person was THRILLED. Who was I to tell them it was "stupid"? So just choose some colors that you like, and go with that. I have found that if I like something a great deal, so does everyone else - but that might just be because they can tell that I like it. Again - who knows?

If you get too much work, don't get employees, raise your prices! I have had to do that several times. It finally occurred to me that I simply was not going to live long enough to make a braided horsehair bracelet for every single person on the planet, so I was going to have to discriminate in some way. You can't tell over the phone if someone has blue eyes, so you can't say "I won't sell to anyone who has blue eyes". You have to go with price. So now for me it's more like "You can take up my time if you want, but I only have so much, so it's going to cost you" and people are willing to go with that.

LOL! Yeah ... I have 18 different leather colors hanging on my workshop wall right now. That is WAY too many colors .... even for me! LOL! I will do some of the smaller things (key chains, etc.) in some of those colors and those can be examples of colors that I can use on other things IF I decide to take on any custom work. I would much rather just make things and sell what is there. You are SO right about colors that you think are great and others don't and the opposite. I have seen things that just gag me ... and find out that they have been sold! Go figure! And things that *I* love will sit around forever. Well ... not forever .... I usually "take" them for mine! ;) Right now I am just doing "busy work" till I get this surgery behind me. But this is giving me some things to think about other than the surgery so this is good! Thanks for helping to keep my mind occupied!!!!!! You are doing a great job! :D

Love and Light,

Maeve