Sign in to follow this  

I made a friend a purse for her birthday. Stamped Roses onto it with her initial and tried to paint them. What a disaster!!! I don't kow if the roses were too small (I paint on canvass and never had a problem)

It was totally horrible now I must start again. Does anyone else paint a stamped picture or how would one do it. A purse is not very big. Slghtly bigger than credit card. It was a special request to hold a card and a few notes only and slip into a jean pocket without making a lump. So small and very flat! The stamps did not make a deep impression hence my decision to paint them.

Bad move..

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Alison

Can you post a pic so maybe we can see where things went wrong?

Edited by tashabear

For small / intricate work I find it easier to use a fountain pen rather than a brush.

Pics will definitely help show us what went wrong.

For small things, I usually use fine point sharpies (or other permanent markers, found at Hobby Lobby). I think the problem (with out seeing the item) may have come from two areas: The type of paint used, and the finish applied over it.

Acrylics don't soak into the leather well so multiple very thin coats (like a wash) should be used to 'build up' the color. A single thick coat will more than likely just sit on the surface of the leather, and will crack and flake when flexed.

Oil paints may penetrate a little better, but take forever to dry.

For a finish coat/ sealer, you'll probably want to spray it on--in several very light coats. Acrylics will absorb the water and get 'runny' if too much top coat is applied, and rubbing them will make them smear.

Check out some of the posts by Katie G and her use of acrylics, she's done more exploration in the area of painting than I've done. Wildrose may also have some good pointers for you, she also does a good bit of work with acrylics.