Sign in to follow this  
Thong

Basic questions

Greetings to all, newbie here.

I recently found this sight and have done a bit of reading both here and other websites. This is one of the best resources I've found.

I'm getting ready to start a leather project (cowboy type holster) and I have a couple (maybe more) basic questions that I hope to get some help with.

I've worked with leather only a tiny bit in the past so I don't know much about it. Most of my experience was assemblying Tandy kits with 1 attempt to make a gun holster. Although the holster kept the gun from hitting the ground, it wasn't much.

Since I'm just starting, the questions I have are about materials and maybe tools. I've read 2 articles outlining how each author made their holsters and harvested some details from them. I'm planning on using 8-9oz double shoulder for the leather and sewing it by hand. Is there a preferred source for the leather? There's a Tandy store about 30 minutes from me and I thought I'd use them for a source unless I get a better suggestion.

Another questions is, what size thread should I use and do you size the needle to the thread or are all needles the same size? I read an article that discusses cotton vs. synthetic and it convinced me to use some type synthetic, like nylon. Is there a generally preferred type thread I should seek?

BTW, I plan on using my Dremel with a tiny bit to make the holes for the stitching.

I plan on getting a groover and an overstitcher, probably from Tandy. Are there any other necessary tools that I might need. I have a pretty good assortment of normal tools, i.e. pliars, knives, hammers, etc.

Well, I'll conclude this first post. I don't want to wear out my welcome with a barrage of questions.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi

Did you get any answers to your questions about making a cowboy holster?

If so and you have one made i'd like to see a pic or 2.

JoAnn aka Ladybug

Hi

Did you get any answers to your questions about making a cowboy holster?

If so and you have one made i'd like to see a pic or 2.

JoAnn aka Ladybug

Well, yes and no. I got no direct answers, but after doing a bunch of reading I've learned quite a bit. One of the first things I've learned is to get the holster making book by Al Stohlman. So that's where I am now, before wasting a bunch of money on tools/materials that I may not need.

Thanks for asking.

THONG, I just saw your thread. If you go to: forum.ramanon.com then go down to their leathercraft forum and open that forum, then go down about 2/3 of the way, you will find a thread titled "Per EBR's request". There you will find a complete tutorial with pics I did back in July for what you want. The holster shown being made was for a 1911 Colt auto, but the procedure is the same for a western holster. If you want a skirt or Mexican loop holster just enlarge the belt loop and don't stitch it down. Hope that will help you. Mike

THONG, I just saw your thread. If you go to: forum.ramanon.com then go down to their leathercraft forum and open that forum, then go down about 2/3 of the way, you will find a thread titled "Per EBR's request". There you will find a complete tutorial with pics I did back in July for what you want. The holster shown being made was for a 1911 Colt auto, but the procedure is the same for a western holster. If you want a skirt or Mexican loop holster just enlarge the belt loop and don't stitch it down. Hope that will help you. Mike

Katsass, I read your referenced thread and your tutorial was most helpful. I'm book-marking it. Thank-you.