Sign in to follow this  
DoggyDaddy

Dog Collars etc

Hello everyone. Brand new to the Forum & brand new to leather work although have been interested for quite a while.

I've finally been prompted to give it a go simply because I can't buy what I want; or if what I want is out there, it costs too much; and when I know what I want, I really can't find anyone interested in doing the work.

I'm a dog man. I intend to start on plain collars & move on from there.

To anyone on the forum that's prepared to answer questions, I thank you in advance and the first question is: -

What tools & equipment (other than the leather, buckles & D rings) do you feel is 1] essential and 2] desirable for doing this type of work?

Must haves, rivet setter hole punch, then strap cutter, edge beveler will get you started with plain stuff. Then add lots of other stuff as you get addicted.

Welcome

Essential, or darn close to it: An edger, needles, thread or sinew, rivets, rivet setters. Stitching awl. overstitch wheel. Instead of getting into cutting your own straps right away, just buy straps from Zack White or another of our sponsors.

For now, instead of investing in a top-o-the-line burnisher and gum trag, I would recommend spit and a piece of denim or canvas to burnish edges.

Book: The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman, available at Tandy

And by all means, do not be afraid to ask questions.

Edited by Spence

Hello everyone. Brand new to the Forum & brand new to leather work although have been interested for quite a while.

I've finally been prompted to give it a go simply because I can't buy what I want; or if what I want is out there, it costs too much; and when I know what I want, I really can't find anyone interested in doing the work.

I'm a dog man. I intend to start on plain collars & move on from there.

To anyone on the forum that's prepared to answer questions, I thank you in advance and the first question is: -

What tools & equipment (other than the leather, buckles & D rings) do you feel is 1] essential and 2] desirable for doing this type of work?

Thanks Fuzzy & Spence.

Fuzzy, I was going to go slowly with the tools, so your advice confirmed that's a good way to go.

Spence, Thanks for that info. I'm a GSD man myself.