recreate

Motorcycle seats

From anyone who has experience upholstering bike seats, I would becurious to know what finish, tanning technique and weight leather you'drecommend. I want to point out I'm not talking about tooling theleather, I'm talking about upholstery style finishing, but that willoffer color-fastness, weather resistance and a soft hand.

Thanks!

I still only use veg tanned, I really love extreme tooled items, I will always make a new seat from scratch (it itches) mold the panto the frame rails, do the foam which I discovered recently a smoother foam way. Then, I mold the leather all the way to have no seams,wrinkles, and stitches, basically a one piece leather seat which wraps completely all over and is pop rivetedon the under side of the seat pan. Veg tanned cow and swine varieties mold very well when wet. The only thing about a one piece seat is, the molding can take several to a larger number of hours to mold, then the tooling begins. Even though I tool after the first mold, afterward it goes right back to the molding I first did, then, the dye begins and ends with satin sheen. I prefer to use four to five oz leather , even though, four to five is what most seat dudes use for the sides of thier seats. I did not get taught this, I had to learn by myselfand it was a rocky road with a rigid bike and no seat at all. I really do have a passion for all the things I make on my own without having to eat the pavement as a result of my welding habits. I never have used chrome tanned stuff for a seat, I know it is supposed to retain moisture, I don't want to be musty as well as a filthy swine that werx. Good luck