Sign in to follow this  
Arley

My second holster

Hello all, I've recently been bitten by the bug and I'm having lots... of fun. Here is my second holster in as many weeks, this one a little better than the one I made for a 45 auto.

Here is one of my concerns. Notice the bruising effect/dark spotting on the holster, whats causing this?

Here is a quick overview of my process:

Wet leather, place oiled revolver in plastic bag, wrap leather around the gun and start molding. After finger massaging the lines for a while I placed the whole thing into a Seal-a-meal bag, then sealed it for a couple hours, again massaging the lines and such. After and hour or two I removed the gun from the sealed bag and hung the leather to dry over night. Then dyed, then stitched. This consumed three evenings, maybe 20 hrs all in all. I wished that I had had black lacing cord on hand but i used what I had available and I could not wait to order some :)

Being a noob and all, I was trying a couple different molding techniques, then came up with the seal-a-bit.

Anyway and a gain, my main question at this time, is why the bruising or spotting after dying? The leather was not blemished beforehand.

ETA: and no, its for the proper hand :)

Dscf1351.jpg

Tks

Edited by Arley

From my experience when you mold wet leather the absorbtion rate changes in the most worked areas. Probably due to closing the pores of the leather in those areas. I generally dye my patterns before I assemble or form.

From my experience when you mold wet leather the absorbtion rate changes in the most worked areas. Probably due to closing the pores of the leather in those areas. I generally dye my patterns before I assemble or form.

16.gif

I do the same thing. It's also likely that you used a dauber to apply your dye, which has always given me inconsistent coverage. Dip-dying and/or airbrushing gives the best results (and most even) in my opinion. I do think your holster looks good - perhaps try rounding the corners to prevent snagging and dog-earing.

I cut the pattern - dye the inside - glue it, sand edges, bevel edges, dip dye, then stitch, mold, yadda yadda...