dawn

leather sculpting

Hi everyone.

I am fairly new on here and was hoping someone out there could help me. I am new to leather crafting, and i have recently begun doing leather sculpting. So far what i have done is make a leather basket with leather flower, pinecones and holy, but i was asked if i could make a pitcher and basin made out of leather. I'm not quite sure how to go about this, especially with the pitcher. It only needs to be a simple plain set; to look like plain clay pottery. It is for a church and it is wanted for what it represents and to be just set out for display. i have a picture attached of a basic style i am looking to do. i'm sure it will have to have seams and if so is there a way to hide them so they are not so noticable. And also i know that the leather stiffens on its own as you wet it and let it dry but is there anything i should apply to the leather to give it some extra striffness to help keep its shape

any advice would be greatly apprecitated.

I do have to say i am glad i have stumbled upon this site i have learned so much from all of you.

Thank you

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to Leatherworker.net. Your picture didn't seem to come through so you might want to try again. You might also want to check out Cheryl Smeja's website. She does several different types of sculpted leather projects and sells some instructional material off of her website. There might be something there that could be useful to you. Her website is www.csmeja.com

Hi Dawn, what about getting a plastic pitcher and cutting it half length ways. Then you will have two molds to work with. For the bowl get a bowl the size you want and form over it. You might need to put some plaster of paris or something along those lines in the pitcher and bowl to help keep the shape when you mold over and around them. It might not work but i think it will. Won't cost much to find out anyway. Good luck and post some pictures when you get it done.

Hi everyone.

I am fairly new on here and was hoping someone out there could help me. I am new to leather crafting, and i have recently begun doing leather sculpting. So far what i have done is make a leather basket with leather flower, pinecones and holy, but i was asked if i could make a pitcher and basin made out of leather. I'm not quite sure how to go about this, especially with the pitcher. It only needs to be a simple plain set; to look like plain clay pottery. It is for a church and it is wanted for what it represents and to be just set out for display. i have a picture attached of a basic style i am looking to do. i'm sure it will have to have seams and if so is there a way to hide them so they are not so noticable. And also i know that the leather stiffens on its own as you wet it and let it dry but is there anything i should apply to the leather to give it some extra striffness to help keep its shape

any advice would be greatly apprecitated.

I do have to say i am glad i have stumbled upon this site i have learned so much from all of you.

Thank you

Dawn

WashBasinPitcher.jpg

post-11107-12608536043_thumb.jpg

Hi Dawn, what about getting a plastic pitcher and cutting it half length ways. Then you will have two molds to work with. For the bowl get a bowl the size you want and form over it. You might need to put some plaster of paris or something along those lines in the pitcher and bowl to help keep the shape when you mold over and around them. It might not work but i think it will. Won't cost much to find out anyway. Good luck and post some pictures when you get it done.

thank you for your input. i am definitly going to give this a try, and thank you clayb for the cherly's website. i'll be sure to check it out. i'll definitly post some pictures and let you know how it turns out