Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to get a colt 1911 model 70 blue gun i need to make a shoulder carry for a friend.

Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to get a colt 1911 model 70 blue gun i need to make a shoulder carry for a friend.

I suggest you contact Rings Manufactoring. They make the Blue Guns. You will pay around $55.00 plus shipping, but you will have your mold gun in short order. Most of the suppliers of Blue Guns don't keep all models in stock. You may place your order believing it's in stock and wait several weeks or months for the Blue Gun to arrive.

Randy

I suggest you contact Rings Manufactoring. They make the Blue Guns. You will pay around $55.00 plus shipping, but you will have your mold gun in short order. Most of the suppliers of Blue Guns don't keep all models in stock. You may place your order believing it's in stock and wait several weeks or months for the Blue Gun to arrive.

Randy

Thank you for the info Randy i dont do much with holsters usually just do cue cases but a friend in my apa pool league begged so im giving it a try.

Suggestion: since your friend is close at hand, why buy the dummy gun? Ask him to bring the pistol over so you can take all dimensions needed for your pattern, then ask him to bring it back when it is time to form the holster.

Suggestion: since your friend is close at hand, why buy the dummy gun? Ask him to bring the pistol over so you can take all dimensions needed for your pattern, then ask him to bring it back when it is time to form the holster.

This is the best way to it, IMO. Especially if it's just 1 holster you're doing.

If you do buy the blue gun, be sure to get the c & l version.

This is the best way to it, IMO. Especially if it's just 1 holster you're doing.

If you do buy the blue gun, be sure to get the c & l version.

i am getting the cocked and locked version but really didnt want to put wet learher against his colt to mold it. Also the 1911 is so popular i figure if it comes out well i may need ro do a few more and i might decide i want a colt myself one of thes days but i do like my ruger p85 for a carry. Thanks for the input also doing a 3 mag carry on the other side for balance it works well with my ruger and i dot need to tye it down it balances the weapon weight and i can use a double shoulder loop slip on with 2 inch elastic across the back and its easy on easy off and comforatable. Do you guys use any metal in the retainer for a thumb brake for quick open and draw? I was thinking of putting a slight curve in the thumb break to make it easy to flip and pull any input is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply

Monty

When using the "real" firearm, if you wipe it with an oily rag and wrap the gun in a sheet of plastic wrap, then use it to mold the holster, you will have good detail to the molding and few (if any) problems with the moisture causing rust on the gun.

-Tac

Edited by Tac

I had a similar situation recently....I took a piece of 4-5oz. over to his place, we wrapped the gun in plastic, wet formed the leather around it, and puff....I had my pattern.

I went home and made the holster out of 8-10oz. based on the pattern, it turned out just right.