Sign in to follow this  
Oliver

What to choose?

Hi all,

New poster here - first I'd like to say thank you to everyone contributing on the website, I've found a wealth of information here going through thousands of post over the past few weeks. I am a new enthusiast leather worker. Finished my first project only yesterday, a hand stitched ring binder portfolio. :) fun fun

I am looking to make a bag next: the design I've chosen is a fairly heavy wet moulded gentleman's bag similar to a doctor's bag.

The problem is I do not know which type of saddling leather to choose from the top retailers: Hermann Oak and W&C sell: tooling, skirting, harness, latigo etc.

I am looking for the best veg tan leather I could use for the final bag. I was thinking 2 mm thick.

So my question is, which type of saddle leather would i buy to make a big wet moulded bag, and which colour corresponds to the natural blonde colour that I can dye and antique myself?

Many thanks & happy holidays

Oliver

Edited by Oliver

realized i posted in the wrong section... can you please move this to the beginners forum if possible please :wacko:

Here is a picture for more or less to what I am trying to achieve. The difference is that it will have a brass frame instead of a zipper, and the sides will be moulded up to the frame, not slouched as on the photo.

am i just asking a stupid question? :S

SAB Weekend Holdall 010.jpg

post-12630-126148635527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oliver