Sign in to follow this  
KenE

Dye Disaster...Ideas?

Here I am again with another project gone bad. I'm afraid this piece might get the "total Black" treatment as it now looks bad and is not worth much in its present condition. I've attached the before and after pics. They dye did not seem to soak into the leather in some places, causing a very light blotchy areas, even after multiple water diluted applications (recommended by Tandy class to get even coverage). Here is what I did and the materials used:

- Tooled leather (Tandy's #2 stuff....)

- Cleaned with Oxalic Acid solution and let dry several hours.

- Dyed with Eco Flo Tan Canyon dye, diluted 5:1 (about 4-5 applications of dye, trying to get it to even out...)

- Dyed background with Tan Canyon 3:1 solution (This didn't seem to come out too well...)

Any ideas? I have some Angelus Dye and some Herman Oak being shipped from Springfield leather as we speak. I'm hoping I can blame it on the leather and dye, but I'd like to identify any technique problems before ruining another piece!

I did want to add that after looking at this post that one of the "before" pictures has a discoloration in the leather that was picked up by the camera flash. Are there artifacts in the leather that cause it to dye unevenly? Should I just wait and try the Herman Oak and not look back?

Thanks.

DSC02072 (Large).JPG

DSC02074 (Large).JPG

DSC02096 (Large).JPG

DSC02102 (Large).JPG

post-11255-12623613092_thumb.jpg

post-11255-126236131746_thumb.jpg

post-11255-126236155751_thumb.jpg

post-11255-126236157041_thumb.jpg

Here I am again with another project gone bad. I'm afraid this piece might get the "total Black" treatment as it now looks bad and is not worth much in its present condition. I've attached the before and after pics. They dye did not seem to soak into the leather in some places, causing a very light blotchy areas, even after multiple water diluted applications (recommended by Tandy class to get even coverage). Here is what I did and the materials used:

- Dyed with Eco Flo Tan Canyon dye, diluted 5:1 (about 4-5 applications of dye, trying to get it to even out...)

- Dyed background with Tan Canyon 3:1 solution (This didn't seem to come out too well...)

Any ideas? I have some Angelus Dye and some Herman Oak being shipped from Springfield leather as we speak. I'm hoping I can blame it on the leather and dye, but I'd like to identify any technique problems before ruining another piece!

I did want to add that after looking at this post that one of the "before" pictures has a discoloration in the leather that was picked up by the camera flash. Are there artifacts in the leather that cause it to dye unevenly? Should I just wait and try the Herman Oak and not look back?

Thanks.

I'd suspect it's the leather you're using. Tandy is fine for most leathers, but I stopped buying veg tan from them, and am much happier.

Maybe you can try some deglazer, and redye? IIRC, deglazer is nothing more than denatured alcohol that you can get at your local hardware store. Otherwise, black is always nice, and goes with everything?

Thanks Hilly.

I am starting to come to the same conclusion about the leather. As far as saving this piece I might try a darker brown first, you can always make it black later if it doesn't work out! :o)

Thanks.

I do not use Tandy leather so if that is the problem this will not help. When I dye tooled items I dampen the leather first, this seems to make the hard spots soften and allows the dye to spread evenly on the leather. I see you are in Stansbury Park, so am I give me a call and lets swap ideas. Tim www.highdesertleather.com

I saw in the last photo exactly what you mean about 'artifacts'. I'm pretty sure that it's in the leather itself. If you plan on doing more applications to the leather, I would certainly dampen the leather first and then apply what ever method you choose. Remember, though, that the darker shades will bring the artifacts into starker contrast with the rest of the leather.

Personally I would use an antiquing glaze on that piece! ;)