Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

Lacing question for a rifle forearm stock cover

I'm making a forearm stock cover for my new rifle (DPMS LR308L) and I want to make it like a tube where the two sides butt up to each other. I want to lace it with little "x"s like I've seen on stuff like cup cozys and such. Do I need to allow a little extra leather so there's room for the lace behind it, or don't I need to worry about that? I want this to fit exactly, so that it remains snug, and does not move.

Also, what do you do with the ends of the laces to keep them tight, and out of sight?

I will also be making a buttstock cover a bit later on, so same questions apply...

Edited by Hilly

I'm making a forearm stock cover for my new rifle (DPMS LR308L) and I want to make it like a tube where the two sides butt up to each other. I want to lace it with little "x"s like I've seen on stuff like cup cozys and such. Do I need to allow a little extra leather so there's room for the lace behind it, or don't I need to worry about that? I want this to fit exactly, so that it remains snug, and does not move.

Also, what do you do with the ends of the laces to keep them tight, and out of sight?

I will also be making a buttstock cover a bit later on, so same questions apply...

Hilly, I don't quite understand what you are going to do. I don't think I have seen a forend cover such as (I think) you describe. Maybe a pic would help. The only rifle stock covers I have seen or done were like this I did back in the '70s. I did a total of 7 for this customer over a period of 2 or 3 years, and they were probably the most difficult jobs I ever did. On these the leather is bonded to the wood and is not removable. These are the only pics of them I have......digitals taken of old 35mm prints so disregard the quality. The first ones were taken during construction and the job is not finished. All of these I did for the same man were on M-70 Winchester's. I did one on a SMLE two piece stock and here is a finished pic of it. Mike

021-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

018a-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

Hello, Mike.

The stock I plan on covering is part of a AR15 (military) style gun. It has a carbon fiber tube, covering a fluted, free floating barrel. It is extremely light weight, but a nice cover could add some protection, for I feel this carbon material could possibly be prone to damage. The forearm stock is a tubular shape, so my cover needs to be tubular in shape as well (Please follow the link in my original post to take a look at this rifle).

What I want to do is to wrap it in leather, and lace the butted ends together. I do not want to cement this cover to the stock! It needs to be removable to retain the value of the rifle.

I did do one for another DPMS owner, but he wanted his to attach with billet and buckles, which I did. I wish I would have taken a few photos of this, as it turned out pretty well. Turned out he was so happy with the job I did that he nearly snatched the rifle out of my hands the second I put the covers on! Now I want to do my own rifle, but I want something different from his. I'll figure it all out eventually, but some input from others that have done this type of lacing would be helpful.

Edited by Hilly

Hilly, i'm just guessing because i have never done one. But i think you would want to make it a little smaller so you could draw it up tight when you laced it. Maybe put a tounge in betwen the pieces kinda like a tounge on a shoe and double it it where the lacing goes through the leather so it won't tear out.

Hi Hilly

I've been wanting rifle pad for ages, and found the plans for one on google patets.

I live in England and have only seen these on the net and in books:-

AMU1079.jpg

Here the link to the plans,i hope i'm not going to get in to trouble for doing this.

RIFLE CHEEK REST

The only reason i have not made one yet,is that i can not find any brass eyelets long enough.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ade

Hilly, I think I understand what your are trying to do here. Basically you want to wrap the tubular barrel part of that rifle and have it laced together on the underside?

First off, this is going to be a bit of a challenge to lace, once wrapped around the barrel, as every time you try to push your lacing needle through, you are going to maybe scratch the surface of the barrel.

I'd also suggest using a thin piece of leather to act as a tongue along the seam.

The best way I have found to lace something together once it is wrapped around an object, is to take a lacing needle, the real thin perma lock one, and bend it into a semi circle. If you can heat it with a propane torch at the same time, it bends easier.

This will make it so much easier to lace, as the bent needle will be able to be manipulated around easier to find the next punched hole.

You may also want to install small eyelets such as "ade" has on the cheek rest posted here. This will ensure that you won't rip the leather when pulling your lace tight, and it would add a uniform look to the seam.

Depending on the width of the space between the edges of the wrap once it is wrapped around the barrel, will determine the width of the lace you want to use. The greater the width, the wider the lace. I would say if you can, cut your own 3/8" lace from some roo hide, if you are not able to do this, then use 1/4" store bought, and punch your holes 1/4" apart and 1/4" from the edge, this should give you a nice uniform look to the lacing.

If you can get 3/8" lace, the 3/8" from the edge and 3/8" spacing for the holes.

To hide the ends, all you need to do is when you start, glue the beginning of the lace down on the underside of the wrap with contact cement, say about 1 to 2 inches in length. This will keep it from coming undone, as the glue and the tightness of the wrap will hold it in place. To hide the end of the lace when you are finished, just run the lace tail, under the lacing about 5 or 6 "Xs" back, snip it off and gently tuck it under the "Xs" to hide it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Edited by Beaverslayer