i have been asked to make a sheath in a cross draw pancake style edge down on the right side the knife is 91/2" in length with a 5" Blade any help pleas lads i need a pattern to follow thanks

I haven't done a pancake-style cross-draw knife sheath, but the first thing that comes to my mind is to protect the stitching from the knife edge when inserting or withdrawing the knife. I would suggest a welted-seam, and metal rivets at the holster opening might be a good idea.

the way i thought about it was to make 3 layers on the belt loop side

so you would have backing a thicker center skived away to the belt loops with the center cut away and to protect the stitching and then a top leather this is the basic line drawing i have com up with the main problem is the knife is very long a 9.5" and very unbalanced

line cros draw.jpg

the main worry is that the knife and sheath must be comfortable to both wear and use that's why i have gone for the oversize belt loops to give some degree of movement

post-12049-126452471511_thumb.jpg

OK after a bit of playing with the design i came up with this not 100%happy with it but the client loves it so hey i guess it is OK the problem was the knife was so long at 10" and heavy to well i did my best

IMG_2553 copy.jpg

IMG_2558 copy.jpg

post-12049-126477511588_thumb.jpg

post-12049-126477511769_thumb.jpg

Edited by HC Leathers

Looks good to me! specool.gif

~Noah

What's your spi on that machine? Are you concerned about the postage stamp effect with the stitches so close?