Indy

My First Motorcyle Seat (Help Needed)

I finnaly have the first chopper seat to cover lieing in my workshop. That's something I wanted to do for ages. So here is the seat, attached to the bike as it looks right know (see below)

I tried my hands on a bicyle seat before, but I wasn't quit happy since the holes didn't matched up very nice and I realized that the heringbonde braid isn't the way to go for me. However the result looked good in apperance to me, this is how it came out (see below)

So here are my plans for the chopper seat:

- drawing the sewing pattern on the original pattern and cut it off for original size pattern

- 3 pieces of leather, one top piece, one back and side piece, one frontpiece

- simple Tau carved on top

- walnut oil dye for edge shading, fiebing's dark brown for the whole pieces, then one coat fiebings acrylic resolene finish and a second one on the whole seat when finished and attached to the seat

- mexican braid in black, using 1/8" precut roolace. The seems should rund along the back and down the leg of the biker when seated, disapearing under the seat and coming to surface again on the front, running along the top.

- the new cover will be wetfolded over the the edges of the seat and then stapled

I spend about 2 hours reading post in here and there where many useful hints to that subject. However, since it is my first motorcyle seat I want it to become a real top piece which might bring me more customers aswell. There are a few things to be done I'm not quit certain about, such as:

- is block dyed oil dye sun light prooved or is it just a matter of correct sealing?

- is my idea of sealing the seat in the discribed way any good or should I try something else? The seat will see daily action, most likely in every weather from Spring to fall

- is 1/8" laced mexican braid broad enough for a large seat and strong enough or should I use wider lace and cut it my own?

- is it better to end the braiding at the outside or the insideof the seat?

- do I need to be careful when stapeling the leather? What should I keep in mind so that my project won't be ruined at last?

As I said, I'm really looking forward to make it as good as it can gets, so I'd be very happy for every advice you could give me :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Sattel1.JPG

DSC07340 (Medium).JPG

post-140-126505721066_thumb.jpg

post-140-126505722867_thumb.jpg

well, I figured out that the 1/8" lace is just right myself allready, but I really need some advice about the oil dye block dying and sealing if that really stand some years of abuse?

anyone?

Try Posting this in they Howd you do that thread it gets more hits

Still looking for help Indy??

Still looking for help Indy??

just saw your reply, sorry for answering so late. Right know I'm good with seats, but I might come back to you if I saddle up the next steel horse :)

thank you

just saw your reply, sorry for answering so late. Right know I'm good with seats, but I might come back to you if I saddle up the next steel horse :)

thank you

I'd be interested in seeing some finished pictures of the seat installed on the bike if you have them. Looks good!