NewYorkerInSydney

How To Add Padding To A Leather Strap

Hi folks, I tried the search option, but was not able to find anything. Will someone please kindly tell me how to pad a leather straps like a watch strap? I have attached some images of padding so you see what I mean. I can make a decent strap, but I have no idea how to add padding, what to use as padding and then how to hold the strap together over the padding so that the glue sticks without the extra padding making it come open. I really would appreciate some advice with how to add padding to a strap. Thanks so much.

NYIS

PC140059.JPG.jpeg

COOL_STRAP_(5).JPG.jpeg

post-12004-126592188898_thumb.jpeg

post-12004-126592193238_thumb.jpeg

Edited by NewYorkerInSydney

Hi folks, I tried the search option, but was not able to find anything. Will someone please kindly tell me how to pad a leather straps like a watch strap? I have attached some images of padding so you see what I mean. I can make a decent strap, but I have no idea how to add padding, what to use as padding and then how to hold the strap together over the padding so that the glue sticks without the extra padding making it come open. I really would appreciate some advice with how to add padding to a strap. Thanks so much.

NYIS

Well, I've never done it, but I have seen padding added to leather items before in two ways. The first way is to lay out some sort of solid padding (like neoprene) where you want it inside the strap and cement it in place, then wet mold the second half of the strap over the top and cement and stitch that into place once it is dry. The second way is to cement the strap pieces together except for a small opening, and then stuff loose padding (like torn up cotton batting) into it with a thin rod, then stitch it all up. Now, I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to do it, but I don't know what they are :P. Good luck!

~Noah

When I've wanted to get a raised contour, as in your pictures, I've sometimes used a piece of cheap chrome-tanned leather of the right thickness (up to 2mm), with square-cut edges. Just cut it a fraction smaller than the shape you want raised, glue it to the back piece, and glue the front piece over the top before stitching.

I've often seen thick cardboard used for the same purpose, but usually only on poor-quality imported belts.

Hello folks, I appreciate your responses. I am trying to visualize what you have both said in my mind. I can kinda see it. How would I be able to cut the strap after I glue it together and it has dried? I just imagine that the edge would be hard to press the ruler on so that I can make my cut because the edge would be raised. I always make my cuts to the exact size I want after the glue has dried, but I have never done this with raised padding and imagine that it would be really hard to cut evenly. Any other ideas? THank you so much!

You could turn the built up side down then take a piece of poster board folded to about the same thickness as the padded part ( make the folded piece wider ) so it sticks out and cut the extra off. watch band.jpg

post-11301-126604798297_thumb.jpg

You could turn the built up side down then take a piece of poster board folded to about the same thickness as the padded part ( make the folded piece wider ) so it sticks out and cut the extra off. watch band.jpg

Hi Dirtclod, that's not a bad idea. Thanks for sketching it out and showing me. Thanks so much. :)