AmandaM

Good Braiding Videos?

I am one of those people that needs to SEE the action to really understand it. I have some great resources on hand for braiding, but I learn best when I can just watch someone do it once or twice.

Are there any online videos that do things like the turk head demos?

I 'm a working cowboy and make a lot of simple, working gear. I like fancy, but don't have a lot of time to make fancy. Bryan Neubert's videos are simply AWESOME, in my opinion. I have multiple books and have a terrible time learning from them, like you. I thought Gail Hought's books would help, but I actually hate them. She does things the hard way all the time. Bryan does things the commone sense way, in my opinion. I studied Bruce Grant's book for two years and could barely tie a simple turk's head, but after 1 day with Bryan's videos I could make all of the working gear I desired. I know I am slow, but I couldn't do it with Bryan's Videos. Also, they have provided me a foundation to understand what some of the more complicated books say on the more complicated braids. Hope this helps.

Hi Amanda,

I haven't seen much online, however, Robert Black's video (about six hours) is pretty good if taken in small doses. It is titled Marlinspike Knot Works, Decorative Knotting and Braiding in Leather, and is around $60. Be careful if you order this, there are three other titles by Marlinspike Knot Works, Making a Key Fob, Zipper Pulls, and Turks Head Bracelet that are each around $30. I can definitely recommend this video.

Art

I am one of those people that needs to SEE the action to really understand it. I have some great resources on hand for braiding, but I learn best when I can just watch someone do it once or twice.

Are there any online videos that do things like the turk head demos?

Thanks, guys! I will look up both of those.

A

I've been reading through old threads and thought I would share on this one. I am also one of those who get more out of seeing something done. Grants encyclopdia got me a long ways but watching Bryan Neuberts video really made a lot come together for me.

Here's the cool thing (at least for me, I was excited to find it). I found it at giddyupflix.com It's a service much like netflicks but specializes in equine videos. I watched Bryan Neuberts first braiding video and his second is in my queue. I know there are a lot of "horse guys" on here as well and it has a lot of harder to find videos that you can rent rather than spending the (sometimes very high price tags) money to purchase. I also have some stuff by Richard Caldwell, Jeff Sanders and Martin Black on the way. Just thought I would share.

Nice find Nod. They got my money now. LOL...

B...

Haha, I promise I don't make a dime off of it. :innocent: It looks like they just got "4 strands of rawhide" I hadn't seen it on there before - queue it up!

Wow! Great call on the giddyupflix. I think the queues may be getting longer...

I was halfway afraid of that, but I confess - I shared after I have either seen or queued mine.

You may have to be a member to view this but it's free and you will enjoy KHWW!

Here are some TH video tutorials by Tim Allwine:

Tim Allwine TH tuts

Another one:

Introduction to the Turks Head Tool

Edited by skyout

Got 2 in the Queue. 1 is out. I will wait for it to pop back in. I hope it does anyway. LOL...

B...

Looks like both are on the way now. Awsome. Can't wait to watch them. ehehehe...

B...

You got the Neubert ones comin?

Yup... Both the advanced ones.

B....