Sign in to follow this  
beanthere

Vintage Modeling Tool Grip Repair?

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to replace the grips on some vintage modeling tools? I have 3 that I purchased and the tools are in great shape but the rubber grips are old, dried up, cracked and worst of all flake off on your project. This I discovered last night and as I tried to get the little pieces off my wet project some left a black stain behind. I figure it will be easy to get the old grip off, and I was thinking of finging some medical tubing that I could slide on and epoxy in place? Or I could take some nice wood and put a groove in two slabs and epoxy that on and then finish the handles. Thoughts? Other ideas welcome. Thanks.

Take your modeling tool to the auto parts store, ask to see what sizes of rubber air/vacuum/ hose sizes they have. Try to fit the stylus end into each, find one that fits snug, buy a couple of feet, cut to length, and press onto tool, save the left over for the future. My best to you.

What about, removing the old handle and wrapping them with leather? or perhaps a nice braided handle? or, my old standby....(white) hockey tape?

Hope this helps,

John

OK, I had originally thought about medical tubing but after the recommendation to go to an automotive store for tubing I went out to the shop and found some rubber tubing the right size to fit two of my modeling tools. The other two are smaller. The tubing I found was a nice tight fit so from my days as a bicycle mechanic I used the same trick for installing hand grips - Hair spray. It is almost as slippery as soap when it is wet but it dries like a mild glue as opposed to the soap which often never dries. Bottom line, I now have two vintage modelers as good as new, even took a skiver and rounded the ends a little. I may try the leather on one of the two others.