Sign in to follow this  
Rod and Denise Nikkel

Blackfeet Saddle?

We were sent this picture by a customer wondering about having a tree like this made. Apparently the picture is from the internet somewhere (I don't know where) and this is all the information he has. The picture is labeled "blackfeetsaddle". Does anyone know anything more about these trees/saddles? Pictures from other angles would really be helpful too if anyone else can find them. I'm not having much sucess.

Thanks!

blackfeetsaddle.jpg

post-1524-126912237527_thumb.jpg

The saddle in the pic is a "squaw saddle". You can find some info on the subject in " Man Made Mobile", from Smithsonian Institution, http://si-pddr.si.ed...ndle/10088/2438, unfortunately no pics from different angles, but interesting reading about saddles from the early Wild West.

The peg below the "horn"was often a piece of deer antler and was used for attaching the travois to the saddle, by hooking a strap over the peg.

Some more pics: http://www.bbhc.org/...c/PIMAction.cfm

The warrior/ hunter saddles were made of two pieces of buffalohide, sewn together and stuffed with grassor buffalo hair.

My 2 cents ...

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

Yes it's a Plains/Transmontane woman's saddle at times referred to as a prairie chicken saddle. The bars were usually made of cottownwood or other local wood, while the forks and cantle were made of either natural tree forks or elk antler.

Go to the following link and put saddle in the Search box, choose Plains for the region, then click on the Search button - you'll get several images that can be zoomed up to see the details and several include the rigging. Hint: you can use your browser zoom control to get even a closer look.

http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm

Several are listed on the AMNH site as pack saddles and at least one is listed as a man's, but they are mostly women's riding saddles. Change your region search parameter to Plateau and then again Southwest for a few more images.

Edited by ChuckBurrows

I knew this would be the best place to ask! Thanks for the info and the links and if anyone has any more, please keep them coming.

Knut, I couldn't get your second link to work. Does it work for you?

The pictures on that site are great Chuck. Lots of variation in the shaping of the fork and cantle (for lack of proper terminology). This one has the shape of some that are called pack saddles in the Plain's section of that site, but none of the pack saddles have the hook out the front like the women's riding ones do.

Great saddle history on these from the Smithsonian site. The men's saddles were totally different than what the women rode, and it was the women who were the saddle makers. Interesting...

For more info on how they were made and how to make them contact:

Ken Weidner

2288 70th road

Copeland Kansas 67837

316-668-5249

Email: whirlwind@ucom.net

Ken has made several of these saddles over the years along with much other NDN tack.......