Sign in to follow this  
yan

Historic Reference

Reading others topics I saw a couple of of post about the "historic accuracy" of leather armor and I think this subject deserve to be a topic be itself.

There are physical evidence of leather armor in Japan, and I found one in Egypte

egyptian armor

If you know of source on europeen leather armor please post

Better link for above: http://www.touregypt.net/Museum/armorpage.htm

And yes, great topic. I'd love to see some Greek, Roman or European examples of leather armor. There's a conversation here: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8070&highlight=studded about this as well, from a few years ago.

There are some surviving pieces of leather armour from Western Europe. There's quite a bit of debate about how much of it there really was, and how much of what appears on effigies and memorial brasses may have been tooled leather or something else.

There's a piece in the Victoria and Albert Museum that is a tooled leather piece for the upper arm (rerebrace) that is quite remarkable and really a good argument for some of the artist's renderings to actually be representing tooled leather.

From personal correspondence I'm aware of a set of 16th century leg harness made from heavy leather and painted to look like steel. It's not on display and is not published to my knowledge.

There was, apparently, lots more use of leather for armour in Eastern Europe, among the Magyars, Cumans and other peoples in that area. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Eastern European side, but have a friend who specializes in Hungary and has amassed quite a bit of information about the Magyars and their equipment. According to him, they used lots of leather.

I found 2 pieces of armor in cuir bouilli

armor for horse:

horse armor

and another pieces:

right upper arm

I found 2 pieces of armor in cuir bouilli

armor for horse:

horse armor

and another pieces:

right upper arm

Vindicated we are. Thanks so much. I'm sure Hivemind will appreciate the direct reference as well. I think we can accept the Met as a proper academic resource.

Work continues on the tassets for my leather cuirass.

Eldorado